Good morning! I’m still pinching myself over the improbable four-game sweep of the Astros against their Ace-1 Ace-2 Ace-3 and Ace-4 pitchers. Seeing the team have fun and play relaxed ball was a great tonic to what’s admittedly been some pretty sad-sack baseball over the past month. Let the pleasant afterglow of the sweep suffuse you with warmth as you peruse today’s links:
In Mariners News...
- Edwin Diaz has been incredible all season, but he took it to another level this weekend:
The Mariners made some history themselves in the sweep: that’s the first time Houston has been swept in a four-game series this season, and the first time the Mariners have ever swept the Astros in a four-game series.
- Here, have some more Fun Edwin Facts:
Edwin Diaz is right on K-Rod's pace from his record-setting 62-save year. But in terms of dominance, it's not that close.— Andrew Simon (@AndrewSimonMLB) August 12, 2018
K-Rod thru 119 team G, 2008
56 G, 46-51 SV, 2.86 ERA
50.1 IP, 29 BB, 55 K
Diaz thru 119 team G, 2018
59 G, 46-49 SV, 1.98 ERA
59.0 IP, 15 BB, 100 K
- Díaz wasn’t going to be available for the game, but when he saw the M’s had gone ahead, he told bullpen coach Brian DeLunas to call the dugout and let them know he was ready. Ryan Divish has the full story with quotes from Edi and Servais.
- The AquaSox hosted their annual Miracle League game yesterday. It’s always cool to see the young players in the system pitch in and give back.
Don't forget to stick around after today's game to watch our Challenger Miracle League Game! This game is free for all fans and we encourage everyone to cheer on these athletes! #HowBoutThemFrogs pic.twitter.com/HIDuzo0vPS— Everett AquaSox (@EverettAquaSox) August 12, 2018
- I can hardly nap in my own bed under strictly controlled circumstances so these kinds of stories always amaze me. Teach me your nap magic, Nelson!
The #Mariners nap scene is getting even better. Nelson Cruz is napping covered in towels in the clubhouse on one couch, Segura also covered in towels on the other couch. Whatever works.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) August 12, 2018
Around the League...
- Never pitch for the Angels.
.@Angels place LHP Tyler Skaggs (left adductor strain) on 10-day DL; recall RHP Eduardo Paredes from Triple-A Salt Lake.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) August 12, 2018
- If you missed Sunday Night Baseball, it was a good one. David Bote, a rookie, hit a walk-off pinch-hit grand slam for the Cubs, and followed that with a pretty epic bat flip.
- After grinding forever in the Cardinals’ minor league system, Patrick Wisdom finally got to make his major-league debut yesterday, and he made quite a day of it. “Wizzy” is good friends with Marco Gonzales, and given the number of ex-Cardinals in the Mariners’ system now, the transitive property of friendship states that we should all be excited for him.
- The Marlins acquired utilityman Chris Bostick for cash from the Pirates, because when you can get Andrew Romine to take the place of Justin Bour, you gotta make that deal.
The fine folks over at DRaysBay made this fan enneagram—enneafan, if you will—so you can figure out what kind of baseball fan you are.
Introducing: The Enneafan! The latest in meaningless personality science. Now with more baseball! https://t.co/csEm2GO0G4— DRaysBay (@draysbay) August 6, 2018
I’m not sure how well it works because I came out as an Eckstein when clearly I should be a Prospect Hound, but I was giving some pretty conflicting answers due to my love of both being social with friends at games and watching games all by myself and keeping score. What are you?