Hello everyone! The deadline was so busy that everyone was traded. Even you. Yes, you. You’ve been sent to DRaysBay for a reader to be named later. Like every other Mariners player, you are now a Ray. Enjoy!
What’s that? Jerry acquired you back? Don’t worry, this is a very common occurrence and we’re happy to have you back! Here are some links to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners’ Single-A affiliate had some fun with the trade deadline.
- Here’s a highlight from James Paxton’s latest start.
James Paxton, Nasty 85mph Knuckle Curve.— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) July 31, 2018
Like watching a train-wreck, JD Davis cannot stop staring at the replay. pic.twitter.com/PFDkXupZJ7
- Matthew Trueblood at Baseball Prospectus takes a look at how the Mariners transformed Marco Gonzales into a good pitcher. ($)
- The Baseball Prospectus staff gave its take on the M’s bullpen retooling. ($)
- Here’s Joe Veyera breaking more M’s news.
Mariners have again dipped into the independent leagues, signing 23-year-old reliever Jake Haberer of the Frontier League's Florence Freedom.— Reporter Joe Veyera (@JoeVeyera) July 31, 2018
Haberer is in his first season of pro ball, posting a 1.80 ERA in 17 appearances for the Freedom, after four years at Eastern Illinois U.
- Corey Brock at The Athletic profiles Gary Brown, a former player with the San Francisco Giants who now works as an intern with the Mariners. ($)
- Check it out!
Our second annual Celebrating Women in Baseball Night is just three weeks away.— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) July 31, 2018
Get in on this online offer for access to our Q&A with women changing the game.
️ https://t.co/fBQdAv3dNI pic.twitter.com/hxHiDw0ekA
- Meg Rowley at Fangraphs gave her brief opinion on the Cameron Maybin acquisition.
Around the league...
- Let’s start off by tackling all of the trades that happened on a busy deadline day. To start off, the Rays acquired Tommy Pham from the Cardinals.
- The Pirates made the big acquisition of the day, stealing Chris Archer from Tampa at the buzzer.
- Leonys Martín is on the move again, as he has gone from the Tigers to the Indians.
- The Diamondbacks finalized a deal with the Marlins for submariner Brad Ziegler.
- Wilson Ramos went from the Rays to the Phillies as the AL East club sought to upgrade its backstop position.
- The Orioles continued to sell, dealing pitchers Kevin Gausman and Darren O’Day to Atlanta.
- The Cubs upgraded their bullpen with their acquisition of Brandon Kintzler from Washington.
- The Phillies added left-handed reliever Aaron Loup in a trade with the Blue Jays.
- The Dodgers have lengthened their lineup once again by trading for second baseman Brian Dozier.
- Los Angeles also improved its bullpen by trading for Toronto’s John Axford.
- The Brewers and Orioles swapped second baseman named Jonathan, exchanging Jonathan Villar and Jonathan Schoop.
- Here’s something that M’s pitchers are doing well!
Random stat of the day... Swing % on pitches out of the zone by team pitching staff pic.twitter.com/lkiZrg1UEV— Daren Willman (@darenw) July 31, 2018
It's also sad to see @T1721Austin leave the Yankees. He was with @TrentonThunder from 2012-2016, & rehab in 2017. On the day before Chase passed away, he stayed with him in my office for an hour after the game ended. He was petting & talking to him. Something I will never forget. pic.twitter.com/ucRSajgTbO— Eric Lipsman (@E_Lipsman) July 31, 2018
- Those are some big players.
#Yankees now have:— Christopher Kamka (@ckamka) July 30, 2018
6'6" 300 lb CC Sabathia
6'5" 280 lb Lance Lynn
6'8" 265 lb Dellin Betances
6'5" 238 lb A.J. Cole
6'7" 282 lb Aaron Judge (on DL)
6'6" 245 lb Giancarlo Stanton
- Sheesh, this must be a New York problem right now.
J.A. Happ was sent home Tuesday due to contracting hand, foot and mouth disease. That could result in the lefty starter not being able to face the Red Sox on Saturdayat Fenway Park— George A. King III (@GeorgeAKingIII) July 31, 2018
- Ken Rosenthal is a fortune teller.
Two years ago, @Ken_Rosenthal reported that it would cost the Pirates Austin Meadows and Tyler Glasnow to acquire... Chris Archer. And that's exactly what happened today. https://t.co/IP6eWtmrTO pic.twitter.com/R7OngZMetj— Sung Min Kim (@sung_minkim) July 31, 2018
- Here’s some news on Trea Turner after his offensive tweets were uncovered.
Trea Turner gave a tearful apology for his offensive tweets: “It’s not when I said the things I said, it’s that I said them at all.”— Jamal Collier (@JamalCollier) July 31, 2018
Video of Turner’s opening statement pic.twitter.com/oA1Rkqfckf— Jamal Collier (@JamalCollier) July 31, 2018
- No matter how you feel about LeBron, you have to respect how much he gives to his community.