Congrats to Jerry Dipoto on getting an extension.
Mariners announce they’ve given Jerry Dipoto a multi-year extension. pic.twitter.com/2yMz26Ab4y— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) July 6, 2018
Time for some celebratory links.
In Mariners News...
- The Mariners’ third round draft choice just signed.
Cal Raleigh, Mariners have a deal. Fla. St. catcher was No. 90 pick overall. deal is for $854,000 (200K-plus over slot)— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) July 6, 2018
- Kyle Lewis will play in the Futures Game.
Kyle Lewis has been selected to play in the Futures Game— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) July 6, 2018
- Meg Rowley analyzes how Mike Leake drinks from a paper cup and then puts it back nicely.
- Jerry Dipoto explains releasing Ariel Miranda and allowing him to pursue a career in Japan.
- The Mariners top draft choice will not make his pro debut for a while.
In case you (like me) were waiting for the Mariners top pick, Logan Gilbert, to make his pro debut ... you'll have to wait longer. He has full-blown mono and actually had it in his system the last 4-6 weeks (incubation period) of season at Stetson. Is on meds, but no timetable.— Corey Brock (@CoreyBrockMLB) July 6, 2018
- Mark Simon analyzes the Mariners’ proficiency at turning two (article from the Athletic. Need a subscription).
- Marco Gonzales mixes his pitches.
Marco Gonzales, last six games:— Ryan Bloomfield (@RyanBHQ) July 6, 2018
- 40/5 K/BB
- 12% swinging-strike
- 68% first-pitch strike
Pitch mix is a thing of beauty... throwing all four pitches equally and for strikes; new cutter has been a weapon. #Mariners pic.twitter.com/GXUc98K3JM
- Mitch Haniger could return as soon as today.
Good news regarding Mitch Haniger (knee). He’s feeling much better and moving better. Chance he could be back in there Saturday.— Corey Brock (@CoreyBrockMLB) July 6, 2018
- Jerry Dipoto explains why he is so positive.
The #Mariners got their GM and self-described '50-year-old dork like the rest of them' a contract extension.— TJ Cotterill (@TJCotterill) July 7, 2018
Jerry Dipoto explained a little of why he's the always-positive person he is: https://t.co/jTMdPKLZQe pic.twitter.com/VhELPmEgQR
- Mike Marjama has retired.
#Mariners just announce that catcher Mike Marjama has retired. Began season with the Mariners. Was recently in Triple-A Tacoma.— TJ Cotterill (@TJCotterill) July 7, 2018
- If you want to see Vita Vea hold Wade LeBlanc, here you go.
Former @UW_Football star @VitaVea delivered tonight's ceremonial first pitch.— Mariners (@Mariners) July 7, 2018
Then, well, we'll just show you— pic.twitter.com/faJ7WDFJ3w
Around the League...
- Former Mariner Tyler O’Neill is headed to the DL.
Second-ranked #STLCards prospect Tyler O'Neill is headed to the DL not long after making his return to St. Louis. https://t.co/0zr9iXzIy0 pic.twitter.com/ezYdyR40R8— Minor League Baseball (@MiLB) July 6, 2018
- Dexter Fowler and the Cardinals aren’t getting along.
my impression from reading coverage over the years from Rockies, Cubs beat writers is if you can’t get along with Dexter Fowler the problem isn’t Dexter Fowler https://t.co/cO7HJfG5Zz— Mike Gianella (@MikeGianella) July 6, 2018
- The Giants are charging nearly 20 dollars for beer?!
Meanwhile, AT&T Park and the @SFGiants have entered the Twilight Zone and are now charging $19.25 ($19.25!!) for beers like Anchor and Racer 5. pic.twitter.com/nYe2xQY7dP— Paolo Lucchesi (@lucchesi) July 5, 2018
- Jeff Passan takes a stab at what the 2018 All-Star teams should look like.
- I’m sorry what?
Trevor Bauer says he's never signing a long-term deal. Only one-year contracts.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 6, 2018
Why? Turns out he made a bet with a friend: If he ever signs a multi-year deal, the friend gets to shoot him in the nuts with a paintball gun from 10 feet away.
Full podcast: https://t.co/hvN9x1gPKo pic.twitter.com/9l3z7PHLGz
- Jenrry Mejia will be reinstated for the 2019 season.
Whoa! Jenrry Mejia's lifetime ban from baseball is over. He'll be reinstated for 2019 season. Mets still have his rights.— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinMedia) July 6, 2018
- How good is Billy Hamilton?
Just because @BillyHamilton makes it look easy, doesn’t mean it was.— #Statcast (@statcast) July 6, 2018
His @MLB-leading 5th catch of the season came on this play, as the @Reds speedy CF smoothly converted a 14% catch probability. pic.twitter.com/0UVpaqNYqX
- Grant Brisbee picks ideal participants for the 2018 Home Run Derby. Ichiro may or may not make the finals.
- Charles Barkley has a NSFW message about bringing back the Sonics.
At my bachelors party. Sir Charles has a message for y'all. Bring back the #Sonics. pic.twitter.com/pXehNkmqwE— Sean (@SeanFromSeabeck) July 6, 2018