Hello everyone and Happy Fourth of July! I hope you all enjoy your holiday, and a Mariners day game today. Here are some links to get your day going.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners might be the most clutch team in the history of baseball, writes Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs.
- Here’s an update on Robinson Canó.
Robinson Cano has been taking batting practice every morning at Safeco Field. Expected to head to the DR to continue working at his facility around the All Star break.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) July 4, 2018
Teammates tell me he has spent a lot of time in the cages and video room, helping however he can.
Rainiers draw a sellout crowd of 7,083 tonight, out-drawing the Miami Marlins (6,259) for the second time this season.— Brett Gleason (@brett_gleason) July 4, 2018
- Aww...how can you not love Wade?
Wade LeBlanc on his career path: "Man, to be honest with you, I thought my career was over after Japan. We didn't have a whole lot of bites. The agent that I have now (Joe Rosen) was able to scrounge up some interest and here we are now."— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) July 4, 2018
Around the league...
- Rinku Singh, the man who was the topic of Million Dollar Arm, is now trying to launch a career in the WWE.
- Peter Gammons at The Athletic talked to a scout who still remembers the “best prospect ever” who died tragically before he ever got a chance to prove it. ($)
- Shohei Ohtani is back too late to save the Angels’ playoff chances, writes David Schoenfeld.
- Check out this other cool story at The Athletic about Don Wakamatsu’s charity endeavors. ($)
- This is pretty funny.
Puig got face painting done at dodger stadium with his kids lol pic.twitter.com/3KcCBQqLZu— Dolphin Pilot, LCSW (@TheAmitie) July 2, 2018
- J.A. Happ may be wearing pinstripes soon.
Yankees are a main player for ja happ, perhaps the main player at this point. He’s at/near top of their list. #jays— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) July 3, 2018
- Shane Victorino has decided to retire.
- Bradford Doolittle takes a statistical look at how much every team would benefit from adding Manny Machado.
- Brian McCann is going to undergo knee surgery that will keep him out for a couple of months.
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs wonders if pitchers have benefitted from lowering the rate at which they toss sinkers.
- Colby Rasmus has suddenly left the Orioles and it is unclear where his life will go from here.
- Shameless plug here for a podcast I started where I talk to players for the summer league squad I call games on the radio for: the Bend Elks Podcast. We’ve already had a knuckleballer, an Australian, and a guy who keeps a penny in his shoe for good luck while he pitches. Check it out and maybe leave a favorable review while you’re at it!