Good morning everyone! All trades must be made by today at 1pm Pacific Time. That means this morning will likely be filled with rumors and deals. Keep your eyes glued to Twitter and MLBTradeRumors.com so you don’t fall behind. Meanwhile, here are some things to get caught up on.
In Mariners news...
- Here we have Joe Veyera breaking M’s news.
- It’ll be good to see Jordan return to action.
Been almost 11 months since I’ve been able to play the game I love. Today I began my rehab assignment and I couldn’t be more excited to be back out on the field again! #letsgooooo— Jordan Cowan (@Jcow4show) July 30, 2018
- In which we learn that “LeBlanc” is actually the disguised name of “LeBron.”
- Congrats, Darren!
Darren McCaughan named the Cal League Pitcher of the Week.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) July 30, 2018
Around the league...
- The Braves made the big splash yesterday, acquiring outfielder Adam Duvall from the Reds.
- The Red Sox also got second baseman Ian Kinsler from the Angels, who are officially selling now I suppose.
- This would certainly make today interesting.
According to a source, the Nationals are making it known to other teams that Bryce Harper is indeed available.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) July 31, 2018
- Sheesh, Mike Minor.
Mike Minor, Filthy 88mph Changeup. pic.twitter.com/rD6vZGGFrj— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) July 30, 2018
- Sheryl Ring at Fangraphs takes a look at the problem MLB faces in attracting a young audience.
- Trying to figure out when it’s safe to leave a game that it looks like your team is going to lose? FiveThirtyEight has some probability numbers for you.
- I’ve heard from umpires that baseball has a problem in that young people aren’t going into the umpiring business. Well, this kid seems cut out for it.
- The A’s have made a change to their season ticket program.
A’s canceling traditional season-ticket program and going to a membership program instead: pic.twitter.com/LRZ9juNtnh— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) July 30, 2018
- Barry Petchesky at Deadspin gives his take on the Twitter epidemic that has seen some baseball players get in trouble for past statements.
- Don’t expect to see news of a Chris Archer trade today.
One official with a team in the Chris Archer mix: “The #Rays are in no hurry to move him because of his contract. I think they would have to be completely overwhelmed. I just don’t see it happening.’’ If Archer goes anywhere, sense is it will be #Padres. https://t.co/Xi8cqz72uk— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) July 30, 2018
- Perhaps the Mariners saw something here in Sam Tuivailala.
Largest increase in velo April => May, RP only, 5 inn min:— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) July 30, 2018
1) Sam Tuivailala (+3.1, traded)
2) Greg Holland (+2.7, available)
3) AJ Minter
4) Hansel Robles (+2.1, available?)
5) Jeremy Jeffress
6) Trevor Hildenberger
7) Dellin Betances
8) Brad Zielger (+1.4, available)
- In a pretty “yikes” trade all around, the Blue Jays and Astros swapped relievers Ken Giles and Roberto Osuna. Each team also exchanged an additional pitcher, one of which was also suspended.
- It’s looking more and more like Johnny Cueto will need Tommy John surgery.
- And another reliever trade.
Source: Keone Kela has been traded to the Pirates.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 31, 2018
- Braves announcer Joe Simpson reportedly apologized to Chase Ultey for commenting on the infielder’s getup during batting practice.
- The Yankees acquired right-handed pitcher Lance Lynn from the Twins in exchange for outfielder Tyler Austin and a prospect.