Good morning folks! It’s the weekend before the trade deadline so stuff is about to get wild. It’s already been pretty wild, and here’s what you might have missed.
In Mariners news...
- The M’s have agreed to a deal with this recent grad from Utah Valley. Learn more about Mayer here.
And by the grace of GOD I am a Seattle mariner. Chase your dreams. pic.twitter.com/jrCWsdTU2I— Jake Mayer (@JakeMayer_33) July 24, 2018
- Check out this interview with Kyle Lewis.
Great to talk with the newest member of the @ARTravs and @Mariners top prospect Kyle Lewis.— Ben Creighton (@Ben_CreightonTV) July 26, 2018
He and I chat about being called up from High-A ball, playing in the Futures Game, battling back from injuries a lot more. More on @FOX16News soon ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/O8N0VeR1vV
- And here’s some words from Jerry Dipoto on the M’s trade deadline plans.
Jerry Dipoto, @Mariners GM on @DDMon710 right now:— Jessamyn McIntyre (@JessamynMcIntyr) July 26, 2018
"We've been in touch which pretty much every team in the league, at least those we know are sellers - it's pretty clear that we're buyers."
Says they're also open to renting players if the acquisition works. @710ESPNSeattle
- And a James Paxton update!
- In Ken Rosenthal’s latest trade deadline mailbag at The Athletic, he reports that the Mariners have checked in on Astros reliever Ken Giles. ($) In case you forgot, Giles is the dude who cussed out manager A.J. Hinch and got demoted afterwards.
Around the league...
- Things are worse in Baltimore than you thought.
Remember the 1988 Orioles that lost their first 21 games? The 2018 Orioles on pace to lose nine more games than that club.— David Schoenfield (@dschoenfield) July 27, 2018
- Jon Heyman accidentally credited a Senator from New York for breaking an MLB trade (he meant to say Mark Feinsand, a New York area writer). I guess it officially is trade season. Oh, by the way, the Brewers acquired Joakim Soria.
- Feinsand poked back at Heyman while reporting a much more interesting trade.
Source: Yankees sending Brandon Drury and Billy McKinney to Jays in the trade for J.A. Happ. Congressman @JonHeyman was first to report them as potential return.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) July 26, 2018
- This A’s minor league pitcher is finding new ways to get outs.
Jesus Luzardo is showing a new pitch tonight that his teammates say he calls the “turkey sub.”— Brice Paterik (@80GradeWhitt) July 26, 2018
It’s basically a 62-64 mph eephus and he’s gotten two pop outs on it tonight. Used it right after 95 mph fastballs both times pretty effectively.
- Kyle Seager is still good at defense.
Highest/Lowest Percentage of Good Throws to 1B (since 2017)— Sports Info Solutions (@SportsInfo_SIS) July 26, 2018
Jed Lowrie -- 99.4% (461/464)
Jose Altuve -- 96.4 (459/476)
Kyle Seager -- 98.3% (405/412)
Rafael Devers -- 90.9% (239/263)
Jose Iglesias -- 97.8% (445/455)
Jorge Polanco -- 92.7% (280/302)
I'm just amazed that there are people out there that think the Royals won the WS because of some genius planning. No, they're some guy who discovers gold in his backyard when trying to blow up gophers with homemade fertilizer bombs in his backyard for a Youtube video.— Dan Szymborski (@DSzymborski) July 25, 2018
- MLB Pipeline has re-ranked the top 100 prospects in baseball as well as the top 30 prospects for each team now that the draft is over.
- This is a neat way to make these players more accessible to scouts and fans. And it must be cool for these players to play in the states before they sign.
"It's a good opportunity to see them in action and get to know them."— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) July 26, 2018
The Dominican Prospect League's Elite Travel team, composed of 120 players that will be eligible to sign in 2019 and '20, recently wrapped up a showcase event outside of Chicago: https://t.co/xuC6ZYGFcf pic.twitter.com/JrgdsAeju5
- The Astros have acquired backstop Martín Maldonado from the Angels.
- This is tough news for one of the Reds’ top young outfielders.
Jesse Winker will have surgery on his shoulder— C. Trent Rosecrans (@ctrent) July 26, 2018
- The Yankees took a major blow to their team.
Tonight OF Aaron Judge sustained a chip fracture of the right wrist (ulnar styloid bone). No surgery has been recommended. The Yankees approximate a 3-week time period before Judge can swing a bat in a game situation.— New York Yankees (@Yankees) July 27, 2018
- Josh Hader did not get as warm of a welcome in San Francisco.
AT&T Park boos Josh Hader on his way to the mound. pic.twitter.com/Y9l7T5Cu8J— SF Giants on NBCS (@NBCSGiants) July 27, 2018
- Sam Miller at ESPN analyzes the Hall of Fame case for Bartolo Colon.
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs dove into the Rays’ decision to play Sergio Romo at third base.
- The Nationals are only willing to trade Bryce Harper if they’re blown away by an offer.
- Joe Girardi has expressed interest in becoming the next manager of the Cardinals.
- The Cubs have made a deal to acquire Cole Hamels from the Rangers.
- The Braves have re-acquired left-handed reliever Jonny Venters, this time in a trade with the Rays.