- Ryan Divish used the off-day to answer some fan questions in a mailbag that includes the phrase “Straight Cash Homey”.
- David Freitas? More like David Freak This.
- Speaking of David Freitas, his son was super hyped about getting an “Uncle Dee” bobblehead.
- Erasmo Ramírez could be back sooner rather than later (six-man rotation anyone?).
Erasmo Ramirez, who threw 2 perfect innings in a rehab start in Tacoma on Friday, will go 3 innings for Tacoma in his next rehab start on Tuesday or Wednesday.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) July 22, 2018
Dan Altavilla (elbow) also progressing as he's playing catch at 90 feet now and advancing toward a return to mound.
- Jeff Passan of Yahoo reported that the Royals are interested in Ryon Healy.
- Take all Mariner trade talk with a grain of salt, but it sounds like the team is kicking the tires on Matt Harvey. Jerry Crasnick notes the “relative lack of media scrutiny” in Seattle as a potential benefit for Harvey.
- Over at the San Francisco Chronicle, Henry Schulman wrote about Denard Span finding a home in Seattle.
- The Austen Everett Foundation continues to do wonderful things.
Meet our very first @RainiersLand #HonoraryTeamCaptain, Isaiah! Isaiah was diagnosed with a rare brain tumor in 2017. In July of 2017, Isaiah successfully completed his treatment and was able to go home for good. On Friday, we celebrated the anniversary of Isaiah returning home! pic.twitter.com/btetGnZ301— Austen Everett FDN (@AustenEverettFD) July 23, 2018
Around the league
- A tough blow for the playoff-contending Milwaukee Brewers: starting pitcher Brent Suter tore his UCL.
- Shorewood High School graduate Blake Snell is headed to the DL.
- Reminder that professional athletes are capable of insane things:
- Dirk Nowitzki, one of my favorite athletes of all-time, has signed on for a record-breaking 21st season with the Dallas Mavericks.
- Go see these movies.