Good morning everyone! The M’s continued their roll yesterday with a win over the Rays. Here are some links to get your day started as you prepare for the second game of the series.
In Mariners news...
- This seems...violent.
Proof that Dan Altavilla does other stuff than leg work. pic.twitter.com/tZiYpTu5ms— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) June 7, 2018
- Check out these new shirts!
The Mariners are GOOD and so are their fans. I was inspired by this collective goodness to design a tee that I hope will do some good. 100% of the proceeds will go to charity, as voted on by you. If you like good things, this might be for you. #GoMarinershttps://t.co/qhA0HwNEmw— Lydia Cruz (@TheLydiaCruz) June 7, 2018
Around the league...
- Shohei Ohtani exited his most recent start with a blister, but it doesn’t seem like it will keep him out for very long.
- Looks like the Rangers will be hanging on to their general manager for the foreseeable future.
Jon Daniels has been signed to a multi-year extension, according to team sources.— Levi Weaver (@ThreeTwoEephus) June 7, 2018
- The Marlins almost acquired Mike Fiers from the Astros in 2016, but slugger Giancarlo Stanton vetoed the trade.
- This is what’s going to make it hard for the Mariners to keep up their division lead.
The Astros don't play another team that currently has a winning record until after the All-Star break.— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) June 7, 2018
- Brad might hit the free market soon.
- Drew Smyly appears to be making some progress towards a return.
LHP Drew Smyly (Tommy John surgery) to throw BP to Cubs batters before Friday’s game.— Mark Gonzales (@MDGonzales) June 6, 2018
- Aaron Laffey (remember him?) just announced his retirement.
- Beth Davies-Stofka at Baseball Prospectus talked about how the Luke Heimlich story affects other victims of sexual assault.
- Meredith Wills at The Athletic took a deeper look at the baseballs and discovered that the thickness of the seams might also be contributing to a rise in blisters around the league. ($)
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs notices that the home run surge has taken a break for some reason.
- Buster Olney proposes a new rule that would disallow teams from using more than four pitchers in a nine-inning game.
- Reliever Fernando Abad has been suspended for 80 games for testing positive for PEDs.
- Vlad Guerrero, Jr. has hit a snag in his development as he lands on the minor league disabled list with a leg injury.
- Jennifer Lopez has apparently been giving baseball analysis tips to Alex Rodriguez.
- This whole Bryan Colangelo story is wild. If this is the first you’ve heard of this, read up on it. It’s a great story even if you don’t like basketball.
76ers investigation done. Colangelo resigns. Evidence from internal team investigation points to Colangelo's wife creating and posting on the burner Twitter accounts, and she ultimately admitted doing so.— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) June 7, 2018