Good morning folks! I hope you’ve had a pleasant week so far. The MLB Draft is officially done, and the M’s dropped one to the Astros yesterday. Today the team starts a four-game set with Tampa before they hit the schedule buzzsaw. Here are some links to get your day started as you await today’s contest.
In Mariners news...
- Here’s who the Rays are expected to throw against Seattle this weekend.
- Marc Rzepczynski is no longer a member of the organization.
Mariners announce they have released Marc Rzepcynski who was DFA'd last week.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) June 6, 2018
- Mariners prospect Logan Taylor discussed his expectations now that he’s been called up to Double-A.
Around the league...
- The Mets have claimed pitcher PJ Conlon back from the Dodgers after the Dodgers recently acquired him from New York. PJ was a pretty good sport about it, though.
- Uhh, well...
Mets officials have discussed releasing Jose Reyes, but are conflicted given Reyes' roots in the organization. Mets want Reyes receiving a proper sendoff.— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) June 6, 2018
- Well, Vlad Jr.’s journey to uhh...Triple-A? might be in jeopardy.
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is leaving the game with an injury. #BlueJays— Keegan Matheson (@KeeganMatheson) June 6, 2018
- Jay Jaffe at Fangraphs ponders the future of Ian Kinsler.
- This strikes me as an incredibly dumb idea, but sure.
Kyler Murray and the A's have a deal that guarantees him close to $5M and allows him to play football (he's a QB and could be Baker Mayfield's replacement) at Oklahoma for 1 year.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) June 6, 2018
- MLB Hall of Famer and the man known as “Mr. Cardinal” — Red Schoendienst — died yesterday at 95 years of age.
- Hey, the M’s aren’t the only team to make a trade this early.
Trade: Royals send outfielder Jon Jay to the Diamondbacks for minor-league pitchers Elvis Luciano and Gabe Speier.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) June 7, 2018
- Shohei Ohtani exited his start against the Royals with a blister on the middle finger of his pitching hand.
- David Schoenfeld at ESPN lists 10 young players who are on the verge of being considered busted prospects.
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs says that it’s not the hitters’ fault that strikeouts are on the rise.
- Sheryl Ring takes a look at the legality of performance-enhancing drugs.
- Viva El Birdos still thinks Cardinals fans should continue to give David Freese standing ovations whenever he comes to St. Louis.
- Kansas City police arrested a woman for setting a bunch of small fires around Kauffman Stadium.
- Aww: Astros infielder Alex Bregman got to make the phone call to his brother to inform him that he’d been drafted by Houston.
- Well OK then.