Good morning everyone! I hope you enjoyed the MLB Draft coverage yesterday. Or maybe you’re not a big fan of the draft. Or maybe you just want the big headlines. Well we’ve got you all covered! Rounds 3-10 begin this morning at 10am on MLB.com. The M’s are also back in action today. Also, here are some links to get you through your day.
In Mariners news...
- A cool story on the M’s selection of Logan Gilbert.
#Mariners scouting director Scott Hunter says a lot of people, including him, backed off RHP Logan Gilbert after a dead-arm period earlier this spring. Hunter credits scouts Rob Mummau and Jesse Kapellusch for pressing him to take a another look. Hunter did, was convinced.— Bob Dutton (@ByBobDutton) June 5, 2018
- David Laurila spoke to M’s prospect Evan White about how he uses his uniqueness to his advantage.
- Well hey there.
Braden Bishop named Texas League Player of the Week after getting all the hits.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) June 4, 2018
6G, .516/.545/.903/1.449, 16H, 3 2B, 3HR, 12R, 8RBI, 2BB, 2K. #ARTravs
Around the league...
- In case you missed some of the picks from yesterday’s draft, here’s the draft tracker that shows who everyone took and who the best available players are as we head into Day 2.
- The A’s selected Kyler Murray yesterday with the ninth overall pick, but the athletic freak will have to decide between signing and staying at the University of Oklahoma, where he’s slated to become the starting quarterback next season.
- Former Mariners farmhand Zack Littell will make his MLB debut today for the Twins during the team’s double-header with Chicago.
- Baseball Prospectus does a mock draft if teams were picking based on the best names rather than talent.
- The Yankees have threatened to boycott ESPN in what’s becoming a pretty ugly war over scheduling.
- I love this.
In high school, I worked in the Mud Hens clubhouse & had to drive Fernando Rodney to the airport one day. From the passenger seat...he rolls down the window on I-75...sticks his hand out and snags a bug. He says "I catch bug."— Jordan Strack (@JordanStrack) June 3, 2018
It was the only thing he said the entire hour.
- Over the Monster thinks that this year’s draft is pretty important for Dave Dombrowski.
- Rays lefty Anthony Banda is going to undergo Tommy John surgery and could be out until 2020.
- Aaron Judge set a record with eight strikeouts in a double-header against the Tigers.
- This just turned south real quick.