While Ders is away (on a late night bus somewhere through central-ish Oregon), the editors will play! The M’s are back in town for a nine game homestead, and sure it’s nice that we’re done with the Yankees and the Red Sox (in the regular season) but the big gift is that Mariners fans don’t need to watch the Orioles suffer through baseball again until September. Happy Friday indeed.
Dee Gordon all day, every day pic.twitter.com/YIaGuD4MOj— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) June 28, 2018
In Mariners news...
- * raises Camden Yards’ nonexistent roof *
The #Mariners complete their first 4-game sweep at Baltimore in club history.— MarinersPR (@MarinersPR) June 28, 2018
- Nelson Cruz is an eternal gift
Downstairs here in Balt Nelson Cruz is taking his daily nap in the middle of the clubhouse. A favorite sight in all my years covering the #Mariners. Grabs a stack of towels, covers himself in them on the couch & grabs 30 min of restorative Zs regardless of the scene around him.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) June 28, 2018
- Jerry please can we not have major breaking news on a Friday? Some of us have social lives (aka a hot date with a carton of Trader Joe’s chocolate ice cream and a bunch of mini marshmallows).
Sources: #Mariners, #Rangers have had dialogue about a Cole Hamels trade. No deal is close at the moment, and it’s unclear if other suitors are more heavily involved in discussions with Texas right now. @MLB @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) June 29, 2018
- Go Arm Strongshawn!
Rainiers reliever Shawn Armstrong has been selected to the 2018 Triple-A All-Star Game! He has five saves and a 2.34 ERA this year— Tacoma Rainiers (@RainiersLand) June 28, 2018
- Pat Listach continues to be the very best
For the recent managing of his 500th game at the wheel of R City, Pat Listach accepted this cake of his face. Will he eat it too? #TBD pic.twitter.com/5sATA5KjcP— Tacoma Rainiers (@RainiersLand) June 29, 2018
- Jayson Jenks is one of the best writers writing about anything, period, and yesterday he gifted us his exploration of James Paxton ($, or get you an Athletic sugar mama/papa)
I really enjoyed talking to Paxton and his friends. His dad, Ted, was nice enough to count the steps from their backyard to the park behind their house and sent me a video of him doing it.— Jayson Jenks (@JaysonJenks) June 28, 2018
I hope you'll give this story about Paxton a chance.https://t.co/2o68fikjez
Around the league...
- That Dave Dombrowski, so cutting edge making a trade before July
#RedSox announce acquisition of Steve Pearce from #BlueJays.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) June 29, 2018
- Craig Edwards, over at Fangraphs, looked at all the free agent reliever signings this offseason and Juan Nicasio has decidedly not been another Rzepczynski.
- NO RELIGION
- Wow, hey, what a cool piece about young stars! Huh, why isn’t this in the Mariners news section? Oh, that’s right, because somehow MLB-saves-leading, 24-year-old Edwin Díaz didn’t get a single mention.
Eppler re: Ohtani/pitching -- the evaluation indicated healing in his ligament, and they'll evaluate again in three weeks.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) June 28, 2018
- 53 is the new 33
Rafael Palmeiro is hitting .264/.384/.416 for the Cleburne RailRoaders. He homered last night. He’s 53.— Tepid Participation (@TepidP) June 28, 2018
- Hey Taylor, how’s Minnesota?
#Twins Taylor Motter just crashed into the fence in an ugly collision. pic.twitter.com/fOun7VyrUU— Matt Johnson (@MattJ_Sports) June 28, 2018
- It’s always a good time to share stories about badass women doing badass things. And hey, speaking of travel, while I’ve got you here: any tips for an upcoming weekend trip to Denver? Must eats? Must sees (other than Nelson Cruz demolishing baseballs at Coors)?
Race to Alaska winners an all-female team from Bainbridge Island https://t.co/YC1hsOZ0wZ pic.twitter.com/GMtFB7EHB1— KING 5 News (@KING5Seattle) June 27, 2018