My dad’s birthday is Sunday, but we celebrated it last night with some friends. My parents have impeccable music taste. While getting down to songs from before I was born, I re-fell in love with “Romeo and Juliet” by Dire Straits. What. A. Banger. What’s your favorite song from a generation or two before you were born?
Also, we’ve all hear the saying “minor setback, major comeback.” How about a five-game losing streak, ten-game win streak trade off? Believe with me, friends.
In Mariners News...
- Sheryl Ring discusses Wade LeBlanc’s successful start to the season.
- Jon Tayler of SI wrote about the biggest surprise of 2018. Hint: It’s the Mariners.
- The Mariners are looking to make some noise in the international market. (Subscription Article)
Last year, the Mariners targeted one of the top outfielders in the international class. This year? They're going after one of the best shortstops. https://t.co/y54TplzmNH— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) June 22, 2018
- Manny Acta took a jab at his locker at Fenway.
- The Denard Span Foundation gave LL a shoutout!
A thank you from our Founder (on #instagram ) @thisisdspan to @LookoutLanding for the shout out and support. Currently raised $6,600+ of our $10K goal! Amazing!Truly able to impact single parent families! Thank YOU everyone! #denardspanfoundation pic.twitter.com/sSQ3RXQt9i— Denard Span Foundation (@dspanfoundation) June 23, 2018
- Nelson Cruz’ ridiculous seven-RBI game was the fifth time he’s accomplished that feat in his career.
This is the fifth time in Nelson Cruz's career he's had at least 7 RBI in a game. Had 8 RBI in a 2012 game with the Rangers and a 2011 game with the Rangers.— TJ Cotterill (@TJCotterill) June 23, 2018
But, somehow, he's never hit 3 HRs in a game. Has 25 multi-HR games.
- Nelson Cruz joined some elite company with that accomplishment.
Nelson Cruz is one of six players in MLB history to have at least 5 games with 7 RBI or more.— TJ Cotterill (@TJCotterill) June 23, 2018
Check this list:
Lou Gehrig (9)
Ted Williams (6)
Joe DiMaggio (5)
Jimmie Foxx (5)
Alex Rodriguez (5)
Nelson Cruz (5) #Marinershttps://t.co/oXs83Dd9rJ
- An encouraging sign for the M’s.
Kyle Lewis in his last 9 games:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) June 23, 2018
.308/.342/.538/.880, 12H, 3 2B, 2HR, 5R, 6RBI, 2BB, 5K. #GoNuts
Around the League...
- Former Mariner Zac Curtis was called up by the Phillies.
.@Phillies recall LHP Zac Curtis from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) June 22, 2018
- Speaking of the Phillies...
- Rangers prospect Yonhander Mendez is being sent to High-A to begin a new program.
The Rangers are sending Yohander Méndez to High-A Down East to begin a "program" to focus on his approach, preparation, and conditioning. Roy Silver will be going with him for the first part of the program.— Levi Weaver (@ThreeTwoEephus) June 22, 2018
Additionally, Alex Speas is going to have Tommy John surgery on Monday.
- Roberto Ozuna is suspended for 75 games.
Blue Jays pitcher Roberto Osuna suspended 75 games without pay (retro to 5/8) for violating the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. https://t.co/1ftJ02XEkH— MLB (@MLB) June 22, 2018
- This bit of Hanley Ramirez news is interesting.
- I guess the only way to beat the Astros is by robbing dingers.
- Paul Goldschmitt and Mike Trout recently had historically good weeks.
- The Seattle Times wrote about Sue Bird and Megan Rapinoe’s relationship.
- Collin Sexton is funny.
this is the only reason you need collin sexton on your basketball team pic.twitter.com/z1SmWA8k5n— Harry Lyles Jr., cheering for Nigeria (@harrylylesjr) June 22, 2018
- The DJ Augustine line gets me everytime.
*clears throat*— Tucker (@twarner50) June 22, 2018
A little bit of Nikola at the five
A little bit of Mario on the side
A little bit of Aaron on the team
A little bit of DJ Augustin
A little bit of Elfrid (now a Sun)
A little bit of Isaac, number one
A little bit of Simmons, Jonathan
A little Iwundu makes me a fan https://t.co/fs0mSH4kuN