Good morning everyone and happy Friday! I know we had an abbreviated week because of Memorial Day, but it sure felt like a standard week to me. The M’s start a series with the Rays tonight, and here are some links to carry you until game time.
In Mariners news...
- Be on the lookout for more eagle-themed promotions.
James Paxton is a good sport. Currently working with Mariners promotions staff, posing with his upcoming bobblehead and a stuffed eagle on his shoulder. pic.twitter.com/RQK4UyZBbq— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) May 31, 2018
- It appears that Denard Span was looking at old photo books and remembered that he played for the M’s in little league.
- Oh my god.
The Rainiers front office has a new pet fish. The name sounds familiar... pic.twitter.com/dzCEDCOSDs— Brett Gleason (@brett_gleason) June 1, 2018
Around the league...
- Yu Darvish appears to be in a bad place mentally as reports indicate the pitcher thinks his own fans are against him.
- Keith Law at ESPN gives the third installment of his mock draft. He has the M’s taking OF Jarred Kelenic. ($)
- Looks like we’ll get to see the opener in action.
- After cooling off from a recent hot stretch, the Cardinals have sent slugger Tyler O’Neill back to the minors.
- Matt Olson is strong.
Matt Olson obliterated a 475-foot home run at the Coliseum. It's the longest home run hit in Oakland since Statcast started tracking in 2015. pic.twitter.com/kbTI7L3UQg— David Adler (@_dadler) May 31, 2018
- Nathan Eovaldi was totally OK with being pulled in the middle of a no-hitter since he was just returning from injury.
- Grant Brisbee breaks down the drawbacks to keeping Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. in the minor leagues.
- Sheryl Ring at Fangraphs takes a look at the legal implications of the Luke Heimlich situation.
- Minor League Ball lists the players you should be watching for in the NCAA Regionals.
- Maikel Franco scored a run for the Phillies even though he missed home plate — and nobody challenged the call.
- Clayton Kershaw’s velocity was discouraging in his first start back from injury.
- A man in eastern Washington started a large fire by trying to immolate some gophers.