Well yesterday was unexpectedly filled with news. In case you haven’t heard, Ichiro essentially/kinda retired? I don’t know. He’s done playing for 2018, anyway. We’ve got some stuff on that here, as well as other stories you need to know to start off your Friday.
In Mariners news...
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs argues that James Paxton might have achieved another level of excellence.
- Some more Paxton fun.
What do you know about @Mariners lefty @James_Paxton? That a bald— Infield Chatter (@InfieldChatter) May 2, 2018
eagle landed on him? That he has Cy Young potential? That he's Canadian?
There’s another story Paxton would like young fans to hear.#WednesdayWisdom@UKAthletics@baseballcanada pic.twitter.com/Gl7bcFbrB4
- We’ve got your injury update right here!
The inflammation is out of Dan Altavilla’s shoulder. He will begin playing catch tomorrow— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) May 3, 2018
For the prospect folks, RHP Nick Rumbelow is back and throwing in Arizona. He had a compressed nerve in his neck.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) May 3, 2018
Dipoto said Kyle Lewis is nearing a return to full game clearance. Said it could be in a week. Lewis would go to @ModestoNuts— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) May 3, 2018
- Marc Normandin gives his thoughts on the Ichiro vs. Pete Rose hit king debate.
- Marc W at U.S.S. Mariner says his farewell to Ichiro.
Around the league...
- Patrick Dubuque at Baseball Prospectus gave his take on the Ken Giles meltdown.
- Big exhale for Mets fans.
UPDATE: Jacob deGrom's MRI revealed no ligament damage. He's going to try to start Monday. #Mets— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) May 3, 2018
- Oh YIKES.
The strain in Hyun-Jin Ryu’s groin was severe. He tore the muscle off the bone, Dave Roberts said.— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughTimes) May 3, 2018
- Jon Heyman takes an early look at the market for outfielder A.J. Pollock, giving the M’s a chance to sign him.
- Hey this is pretty neat.
Salem Red Sox are making history! @SuzKewl will appear on select Sox Broadcasts, starting tomorrow, as the first female color commentator in the Carolina Leaguehttps://t.co/UcJRGYvvYV pic.twitter.com/eADwPK38oZ— Salem Red Sox (@salemredsox) May 3, 2018
- Albert Pujols is getting pretty close to 3,000 career hits. Jay Jaffe puts it into context.
- The San Diego Padres are attempting to become Mexico’s team, writes Pedro Gomez.
- The Yankees and Red Sox will play a series in London next June.