Hey everyone! I hope you’re having a pleasant week so far despite the fact that the M’s just dropped two straight to Texas. Onto the next one I suppose. Here are those links you asked for.
In Mariners news...
- A pair of young analytics employees, including someone who played for the AquaSox last year, were instrumental in the Mariners pulling off their trade with the Rays, per Corey Brock at The Athletic. ($)
- This is an unconventional giveaway but I’m here for it.
- Baseball America previewed the upcoming draft for the M’s.
- Jean Segura will be hosting a Reddit AMA tomorrow! Get your questions in early using this link.
- Félix Hernández is reportedly starting to realize that he isn’t the pitcher he used to be anymore.
- Welp, who could have seen this coming?
Hisahi Iwakuma session vs live BP pushed back again (neck soreness). Should be tomorrow, Servais said. #Mariners.— TJ Cotterill (@TJCotterill) May 30, 2018
- But here’s some good news! (“Tomorrow” now being today)
Dee Gordon still on track to return from DL by tomorrow.— TJ Cotterill (@TJCotterill) May 30, 2018
- M’s top pitching prospect Sam Carlson appears to be moving along well too.
Mariners top pitching prospect Sam Carlson threw a bullpen yesterday as he progresses from some elbow issues.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) May 30, 2018
Around the league...
- Eno Sarris takes a look at the pitchers who throw the best fastballs in the sport. James Paxton is included in his list. ($)
- It’s almost time for All-Star voting to commence!
Fan balloting for the 2018 @AllStarGame will begin at 12:00 pm ET on Friday via the 2018 @CampingWorld MLB All-Star Ballot. Fans can vote at https://t.co/7b16TAwzW0, all 30 Club web sites, & the MLB At Bat & Ballpark mobile apps for a chance to win a 2019 Freedom Elite Motorhome. pic.twitter.com/HMzkBRLUbU— MLB Communications (@MLB_PR) May 30, 2018
- Our very own Jake Mailhot wonders what pitcher around baseball could produce what Edwin Díaz is doing right now for Seattle.
- The Dodgers have cut ties with 2017 Mariner Danny Espinosa.
- Sam Miller at ESPN explains why Mookie Betts will never be able to sustain Trout-like numbers.
- Reports indicate that Yu Darvish does not have any structural damage to his arm, which is great news for a Cubs team that just signed the Japanese right-hander to a long-term deal this offseason.
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs takes a look at what the heck Justin Verlander is doing to somehow have the best season of his career.
- Phillies slugger Rhys Hoskins is likely headed to the disabled list with a jaw fracture.
- With this, all five starters from the University of Washington men’s basketball squad will be returning to Montlake this fall.