Good morning everyone! The M’s are going for the series win today with James Paxton on the mound. They should probably win this game considering tomorrow’s pitching matchup is Sean Manaea vs. Wade LeBlanc...less than ideal. We’ve got a lot of news for you, so let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- Anthony Castrovince takes a look into Mitch Haniger’s breakout campaign.
- Even Jeff Sullivan is getting on the Haniger hype train.
Great stuff as usual from Brad Adam, @JohnHowieSteak , on the future of Ichiro. Brad texted w/ him today and the feeling is that this homestand will be his last. Ichiro is good w/ decision. Brad feels Ichiro wants to retire as a Mariner. #Mariners— Jason Puckett (@JasonPuckett20) May 1, 2018
- It’s official!
MLB announces the Mariners and A's will open next season in the Tokyo Dome with two-game series March 20-21,— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) May 1, 2018
- Get well soon, boys.
Erasmo has a strain in his right Teres Major, which is a muscle in the shoulder. Altavilla has a strained AC joint in his right shoulder. Both going on 10-day DL.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) May 1, 2018
- This is pretty neat.
- Scott Servais says that he’ll get his hair cut like Edwin Díaz’s if the closer logs 50 saves this season.
Around the league...
- Here’s some interesting news from the league I’m broadcasting for this summer.
We are thrilled to introduce @robneyer as the new commissioner of the West Coast League. See the full release about the former ESPN and Fox Sports journalist joining the WCL. https://t.co/TTOBLQIiuG pic.twitter.com/nvtNB4hyAX— West Coast League (@WCLBaseball) May 1, 2018
- Jonathan Mayo at MLB released his latest mock draft, which has the M’s taking a third baseman in the first round.
- Trevor Bauer seems to think the Astros starting pitchers are cheating by using foreign substances on the baseball to increase spin rates on their pitches. Lance McCullers clapped back.
- Jeez, this seems like it would piss off some players.
Major infield : Set your feet and don't rush the throw. pic.twitter.com/rkB5bjZ242— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) May 1, 2018
Asked if he's upset about a Page Six report that had Matt Harvey out partying in Los Angeles the night before pitching in San Diego, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said:— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) May 1, 2018
"Usually I get upset if a report is unexpected. So I guess the short answer is no."
- Bill Baer says it’s time for the Mets to cut bait with Matt Harvey.
- I don’t know about you guys, but I see a couple of snubs here.
- Madison Bumgarner could resume throwing from a mound shortly.
- Ken Giles was a little upset last night.
- Bryce Harper has been moved to the leadoff spot after complaining that nobody was letting him hit.