Hello! Today I, Kate, am taking time away from my precious eventime schedule of drinking cheap rosé from Grocery Outlet and watching Murder She Wrote reruns to create for you these links. Okay, I’m still drinking the cheap rosé. It’s really bad, you guys. What’s your best VALUE WINE buy? Asking for a friend, who is me.
In Mariners news...
- You’ve seen this by now, but in case you missed it by some chance or like maybe you were hiking or doing five escape rooms in a row or something, Ichiro forever.
- Also, Félix forever.
- ALSO, Taijuan forever:
The big freaking maple!!!! Lets gooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!— Taijuan Walker (@tai_walker) May 9, 2018
- James Paxton got a shoutout from the country of Canada itself, so post the eagle incident, he’s now President/Prime Minister/Ruler of the Galaxy. All Hail Pax.
Congratulations to Seattle @Mariners pitcher @James_Paxton who became the first Canadian since 1945 to throw a no-hitter! By doing so against the Toronto @BlueJays, he also became the first Canadian to do it on home turf ⚾️ ⚾️ https://t.co/ehlFF9ps9j— Canada (@Canada) May 9, 2018
- Speaking of Pax, our own Pacific Northwest Vagabond wrote up his thoughts on the no-hitter.
- Over at Short Relief, noted Jays fan Rachael McDaniel also wrote about the no-hitter.
- This might be the purest expression of joy about Paxton’s no-hitter. Ladner, we love ya.
- No wait, the purest expression of joy is this.
- The Mariners picked up another minor-league arm for cash.
Sources tell me the Mariners have acquired Twins minor-leaguer Anthony McIver for cash.— Reporter Joe Veyera (@JoeVeyera) May 9, 2018
The 26-year-old left-hander was drafted by Minnesota in the 15th round of the 2015 draft, posted a 2.70 ERA in eight appearances out of the bullpen with Double-A Chattanooga this season.
In Mariners minors news...
- Tacoma won against the El Paso Chihuahuas yesterday, the Padres’ Triple-A team that features some heavy hitters like Luís Urías and Franmil Reyes, who saw his seven-game hit streak snapped. Rob Whalen tossed a very solid six innings, allowing just one earned run, two walks, and collecting seven strikeouts. Darin Gillies, recently promoted from AA-Arkansas, worked two scoreless innings in relief and struck out three, including the aforementioned Reyes.
A nice scoreless two innings of work from Darin Gillies tonight, including striking out big bopper Franmil Reyes (and most likely ending his hitting streak) pic.twitter.com/kIA4yrCDqD— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) May 10, 2018
Tacoma’s offense has been sluggish at times this year, but Vogey had a double, a newly-healthy John Andreoli hit a triple (and stole a base, as did Ian Miller, who had two hits in the game), and Taylor Motter and Cameron Perkins each hit home runs.
- Modesto lost, 5-9, but Bryson Brigman continued his hot hitting, picking up four hits. He’s now hitting close to .400. Gareth Morgan hit his 8th home run of the young season.
- The LumberKings lost to Western Michigan 8-5, despite one of their trademark late-inning offensive explosions. However, 2017 draftee and Michigan native Oliver Jaskie, who got the start (5 IP, 4 ER, 8 Ks) got to have his family out for the game, including his sister Hanna, whom he calls his inspiration:
Around the league...
- Wade Miley is out 4-6 weeks with a strained oblique. Maybe he and Erasmo can get together and work on building up their “lat’s little helpers.”
- More injury sadness, but thank goodness I don’t have to root against him in the next series:
.@tigers place OF Leonys Martin (left hamstring strain) on 10-day DL; recall OF Mikie Mahtook from Triple-A Toledo.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) May 9, 2018
- The Mariners might have dropped a disappointing game yesterday, but at least we aren’t the Mets.
The Mets batted out of order, and as a result forfeited a man in scoring position in the first inning. I've never seen that before in a professional baseball game.— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) May 9, 2018
- No, really.
- Yes, this is a double-dip, but honestly, few baseball writers move me as much as Rachael McDaniel, and their latest for The Hardball Times is no exception.
- Irish Reddit is apparently the purest place on this mostly garbage planet: