Good morning folks! Yesterday was a pretty interesting day around baseball. Even though it was the middle of the week, a lot of stuff went down. Let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, Nelson Cruz officially hit the DL.
The Mariners have recalled INF/OF Taylor Motter from AAA Tacoma and placed DH Nelson Cruz on the 10-Day disabled list (retroactive to April 1) with a sprained right ankle.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) April 3, 2018
- Jay Yencich at U.S.S. Mariner previewed the upcoming season for the Tacoma Rainiers.
Around the league...
- The Rangers made a minor acquisition.
Rangers have signed Cameron Rupp to a minor league contract.— Evan Grant (@Evan_P_Grant) April 3, 2018
- Peter Gammons at The Athletic has a neat feature on Danny Hultzen and his continuing journey to make it back into baseball.
- That’s just nasty.
Blake "The Witch" Treinen, 101mph Sinker Movement. ♀️— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) February 6, 2018
A little birdie (or Cressey) told me Treinen said this was the best pitch he ever threw). h/t @EricCressey pic.twitter.com/5iTgleGJLJ
- Sports Illustrated has a cool longform piece on Tommy Pham and how his persistence carried him to the big leagues.
- Former Mariner alert!
Give @Boogpowell15 !— #Statcast (@statcast) April 3, 2018
His diving catch saved a run -- and had a catch probability of just 29%. That's the young @Athletics outfielder's 1st career 4-Star grab. pic.twitter.com/zc7Iomq3W3
- Oh jeez.
#Rays Kiermaier will try something new today to combat cold weather vs #Yankees - covering his whole body with Vaseline to serve as an extra layer against the wind.— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) April 3, 2018
- The MLB.com prospect team takes a look at some of the biggest prospects in the American League West for 2018.
- In an interesting twist, a lawyer for the late Jose Fernandez and his estate claims that the pitcher wasn’t actually driving the boat that crashed that night.
- Another one bites the dust.
#Angels put RHP Matt Shoemaker (forearm strain) on DL, recall RHP Parker Bridwell from AAA.— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) April 3, 2018
- Meanwhile, Shohei Ohtani collected his first big league home run yesterday.
- Yankees fans booed Giancarlo Stanton after he struck out for the fifth time in the game.
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs takes a look at Jordan Hicks, who is currently the hardest-throwing pitcher in the sport.
- Are we drifting towards position-less baseball? Travis Sawchik tackles that question in his latest piece for Fangraphs.