Good morning folks! We’ve got a lot of news for you today, actually. Some days are randomly like that while other days it’s like pulling teeth to find stories. Luckily you have a lot of options today, so enjoy!
In Mariners news...
- John McGrath discussed the impact that Danny Farquhar had in Tacoma.
- Wonderful, another injured Mariners prospect.
Here's the #Mariners minor league report from @kmunro1 ...— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) April 24, 2018
M's top pitching prospect Sam Carlson isn't throwing off the mound because of past elbow issues. He's rehabbing and strengthening arm right now
Guillermo Heredia went 1 for 4 for @RainiersLandhttps://t.co/j54elxydaf
- Some more minor league moves:
Rainiers transactions:— Mike Curto (@CurtoWorld) April 24, 2018
Add LHP Roenis Elias and OF Jayson Werth
Release RHP Josh Smith and INF Matt Hague
No game today; back at it Wednesday at Fresno (6:35).
- Lauren Comitor at The Athletic notes that an improvement in plate discipline led to the surge of Mitch Haniger.
- Happy belated birthday, Mike!
Happy Birthday to former Mariners third baseman and current broadcaster Mike Blowers! pic.twitter.com/Jl8N7dY7lP— Mariners (@Mariners) April 24, 2018
- Oh man.
Tuesday night in Chicago. Why wouldn’t I go throw axes with @shannondrayer and the crew @badaxethrowing pic.twitter.com/Tv2zdKmd7l— Jen Mueller (@JenTalksSports) April 25, 2018
- Marc W at U.S.S. Mariner theorizes why Jerry Dipoto goes after the kinds of players that he does.
Around the league...
- I must have somehow missed this in yesterday’s links (shoutout to Jadeus in the comments for pointing this out). Congrats, Jenny!
We are extremely proud of @jennycavnar who tonight becomes among the first women ever to call play-by-play for a @MLB broadcast. pic.twitter.com/Y8aQhARnnn— Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) April 24, 2018
- The Rockies Twitter account took to arms to fend off the trolls that weren’t happy with Jenny’s performance.
- This is from a couple of days ago, but wow!
- The dude’s got heat (although he did get lit up by the Astros yesterday).
Ohtani threw FOUR 100+ mph pitches on Tuesday.— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) April 25, 2018
All other MLB starters have combined for 9 such pitches this season. pic.twitter.com/MWslEdXDBo
- We haven’t appreciated the decline of Albert Pujols enough, writes Matthew Trueblood at Baseball Prospectus.
- Christina Kahrl tries to find the person that will be the first female general manager in the sport.
- This is great.
Former Mariner Jose Lopez (Yokohama DeNA Baystars) received 1 million yen and a year's supply of Kirin beer for hitting the Kirin billboard at the Tokyo Dome with a homer. Dude looks so happy with his beer. (h/t @NPB_Reddit)https://t.co/d3NSsiY8oU pic.twitter.com/r9C5DvEPFL— Sung Min Kim (@sung_minkim) April 24, 2018
- Matt Kemp has actually been pretty useful for the Dodgers, writes Jay Jaffe at Fangraphs.
- Buster Olney thinks that the Giants should consider dealing Madison Bumgarner.
- The Braves have opted to promote top prospect Ronald Acuna after weeks of speculation.
- Shawn Kemp at The Players’ Tribune wrote about his longing for the return of the Sonics.
- New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. is pretty darn strong.
Casual workout from @OBJ_3 pic.twitter.com/vriIf0RRNr— ESPN (@espn) April 23, 2018