Hello and happy Monday! The M’s have a big series against the Astros starting today. It should be a good barometer of where the Mariners are right now. While you wait for first pitch, here are some links for your reading pleasure.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic discussed Daniel Vogelbach’s mammoth home runs.
- Yay Hisashi!
Iwakuma has been throwing regular bullpens. Chance he could face hitters in a sim game situation next week. #Mariners— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) April 15, 2018
- And here’s an update on Mike Zunino.
Zunino has been sent to Modesto to start rehab assignment. Expected to get 2-3 games. #Mariners— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) April 15, 2018
Around the league...
- Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic talked to people around the Angels’ organization about Shohei Ohtani’s incredible work ethic.
- Brad Lefton at The New York Times wonders what’s next for baseball in Japan after Ohtani’s departure.
- Looks like the M’s won’t be catching any breaks in this series. But I suppose there is no “catching breaks” with the Astros.
A.J. Hinch said the #Astros are staying in rotation against the Mariners in Seattle.— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) April 15, 2018
Mon: Dallas Keuchel
Tues: Lance McCullers Jr
Wed: Gerrit Cole
Thurs: Charlie Morton
- Buster Olney sees a new rivalry sprouting between the Angels and Astros.
- Justin Verlander is one of the last starters we may see who can be dominant for all nine innings of a baseball game, writes Bradford Doolittle.
- Talking Chop is not concerned with Ronald Acuna’s slow start in Triple-A. The Braves have seemingly delayed his call-up, as Saturday was the first day Atlanta could bring him up and get an extra year of service time.
- Bartolo Colon took a perfect game into the eighth inning against the Astros in a Sunday Night Baseball win for the Rangers.
- I don’t share music very often, but this is gorgeous.