Good morning and happy Friday! I hope you’ve all had a great week and are ready for this weekend series between the Mariners and A’s. Here are some links to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- Kyle Seager is feeling good at the plate thanks to some advice he received from Mike Zunino.
- Dee Gordon’s positive attitude has really impressed the Mariners so far, writes Corey Brock at The Athletic.
Around the league...
- Congrats to Joe Mauer!
Joe Mauer joins Kirby Puckett and Rod Carew with 2,000 hits in a Twins uniform. Mauer's next milestone?— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) April 13, 2018
Most times on base in #MNTwins history:
3,072 Harmon Killebrew
2,921 JOE MAUER
2,810 Kirby Puckett
2,718 Rod Carew
2,613 Kent Hrbek
- After we saw a massive spike in home runs last season, we might see a decrease this year according to Rob Arthur at The Athletic. Marc W at U.S.S. Mariner did a follow-up article on how this will affect the Mariners.
- Well, looks like Elvis Andrus will be out of commission for a little while.
Texas #Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus will be sidelined 6-8 weeks with a fractured elbow but won’t need surgery.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) April 12, 2018
- Kike Hernandez is joining the trend of players using the Yodeling Wal-Mart Kid for walk-up music.
- Fish Stripes wonders if it’s worth it for Don Mattingly to “manage to win” games for his team.
- Grant Brisbee says the idea of adding a mercy rule in baseball would be ridiculous. And yes, this was something that was semi-seriously discussed.
- Joey Votto got his first day off in a year and a half.
- The Mets should be giving more playing time to young outfielder Brandon Nimmo, writes Travis Sawchik at Fangraphs.
- Major League Baseball handed out some fines and suspensions in the aftermath of the Red Sox-Yankees brawl.