Good morning everyone! I hope you’re having a good week so far. We’ve got a day game coming up shortly, so here are some links to get you through the morning.
In Mariners news...
- Lookout Landing alum Brendan Gawlowski has joined The Athletic! His first piece is about the M’s and the types of pitchers they’ve gone after under Jerry Dipoto.
- More good news for injured Mariners!
Servais says Gamel should return Friday. Cruz and Zunino “a tick behind” Gamel, but not far off. News good on Healy as well. Out of walking boot and progressing quickly from Grade 2 ankle sprain.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) April 10, 2018
- Looks like Evan White is back in action.
The 17th overall pick from last year, Evan White, has joined the @ModestoNuts and is batting in the three hole today against IE.— Keaton Gillogly (@Gillogly) April 10, 2018
Around the league...
- The Rangers have cut ties with utilityman Trevor Plouffe.
- This is pretty great.
Sister Jean threw out the first pitch today in Chicago (via @WGNNews) pic.twitter.com/RPEagL4rWG— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) April 10, 2018
- We have reached peak minor league baseball. For those of you who have no idea what this yodeling kid from Wal-Mart is, here he is.
well, it already happened - someone used a remix of wal mart yodeling kid as their walkup song. Clint Coulter of the @CarolinaMudcats. (via his insta) pic.twitter.com/ysNMcO8x6u— megan brown (@thatgirlondeck) April 10, 2018
- There is a higher percentage of black players in baseball than there has been since 2012.
- The Marlins are claiming corporate citizenship in the British Virgin Islands so they don’t have to go to court in Miami. Alright.
- Ken Rosenthal pens a longform piece on the Valaika family and how their success story in baseball.
Word is the actual attendance at Monday's #Rays-#WhiteSox game - people who used tickets to come in - was 974— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) April 10, 2018
- Look out for this today.
The Dodgers announced they are holding a press conference tomorrow with MLB commissioner Rob Manfred for a "major announcement."— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughTimes) April 10, 2018
Has to be #Toles, I imagine.
- Jameson Taillon is poised to take over as the ace of the new-look Pirates, writes Craig Edwards at Fangraphs.
- Edwards claims that Corey Kluber is currently the best pitcher in the sport.
- There have already been some significant changes to the playoff odds after two weeks of games, notes Jeff Sullivan.
- The Reds have DFA’d Yovani Gallardo.
- The University of Washington athletic department has signed a 10-year deal with Adidas in one of the most lucrative endorsement deals in college sports history.
- Aww I love this.
Aaron Rodgers gave the Dalai Lama a football and a Green Bay Packers hat and LOOK AT THEIR SMILES. pic.twitter.com/PDvbUA3yXI— ESPN (@espn) April 10, 2018