Good morning everyone! I hope you’ve all had a terrific week. Let’s get your Friday going with some links for the day.
In Mariners news...
- My heart.
One's a wily vet who's back for a second go on the force. The other's a free-wheeling youngster who knows his way around the dance floor.— Colin O'Keefe (@colinokeefe) March 9, 2018
Together, they're cleaning up the streets. pic.twitter.com/7orvaHmC9n
When Dee Gordon arrived in the clubhouse, Ichiro came over to greet him. The two are close after their time in Miami. Ichiro gave Gordon some advice on outfield gloves.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) March 8, 2018
I asked Gordon later what initially drew him to Ichiro.
"He's a skinny guy that hits. We're the same guy!"
- Here are some updates on players in camp:
Ichiro will take part in this afternoon's workout, which starts about 3:15 pm MST. Servais said he won't push to get him in games for 4-5 days. He and Haniger will hit live BP vs. Nick Vincent on Saturday. Haniger could be cleared for games after that.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) March 8, 2018
- And some not-so-good news...
Tony Zych, who hasn't thrown much all camp, is undergoing more doctor tests for "shoulder discomfort." Not a good sign.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) March 8, 2018
- The Mariners announced their lineup for Women In Baseball Night at Safeco Field.
- Shawn Armstrong is sticking around.
Shawn Armstrong has cleared waivers and will remain in big league camp.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) March 8, 2018
Around the league...
- Check out this neat feature on Haley Alvarez, an A’s scouting coordinator who’s aiming to be baseball’s first female general manager.
- David Schoenfeld tried to figure out which teams could use Alex Cobb, Lance Lynn, and Jake Arrieta.
- Aaron Judge says he doesn’t plan on returning to the Home Run Derby after winning it last season.
- Ichiro is following the path of many Hall of Famers who returned back to the home of their glory days in the final years of their career.
- People are becoming more confident in Shohei Ohtani’s ability to hit, writes Travis Sawchik.
- The Royals have re-signed Mike Moustakas to a one-year deal that doesn’t have a whole lot of value for the third baseman.
- Meanwhile, the Rockies are closing in on a one-year contract with outfielder Carlos Gonzalez.
- Jose Bautista still isn’t getting the kind of contract offers he wants, and he’s mulling over the idea of retirement.
- We’ve got some more cool Star Wars news!