Good morning everyone! Things are starting to get interesting as spring training closes in. Here’s what you need to know today.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners have partnered with Metro Parks Tacoma in an effort to bring baseball and softball to kids in the Tacoma area.
- Jerry Dipoto spoke about Felix Hernandez with confidence on the latest episode of his podcast, believing that Felix has a forthcoming second wind to his career.
Around the league...
- Here’s a story from yesterday that a lot of people overreacted to but probably just means he’s going to give a speech at spring training and exchange phone numbers with Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton or something.
- Could a reunion be in the works?
- Richard Justice pegs Mike Leake and nine other MLB pitchers as sleeper candidates for the Cy Young Award.
- Joe Girardi has found himself a new home for now.
Joe Girardi is joining @MLBNetwork as a studio analyst. Makes his debut tonight at 6pE with Amsinger, Lowell and Ripken.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 7, 2018
- Jeff Sullivan warns to be careful when looking at projections for teams, no matter what system you subscribe to.
- Well, it’s all but official: with just a week left before spring training, the league will open up a complex for unsigned free agents.
Source confirms: A separate training camp for unsigned free agents “will happen.” Union not sure how many players will attend, but plan to make a facility available in Florida or Arizona. First reported: @TBrownYahoo.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 8, 2018
- What the heck? Chris Cotillo reports that the termination was “behavior related.”
Wasserman Media Group just announced they have “terminated” their relationship with Yasiel Puig and no longer represent him.— Robert Murray (@RobertMurrayFRS) February 7, 2018
As @ChrisCotillo said, an odd thing for an agency to do. Unclear what happened.
- Baseball Prospectus jots down some of the most notable things within the latest PECOTA projections.
- Eric Gomez at ESPN explains why so many Cuban baseball players have names that start with the letter “Y.”
- Craig Edwards notes that the Twins are in desperate need of a starting pitcher now that they’ll be without Ervin Santana for a little bit.
- St. John’s mens’ basketball team is the most unusual thing.
A week ago, St. John’s lost its 11th straight game.— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) February 8, 2018
Now the Red Storm have beaten No. 4 Duke and No. 1 Villanova back to back! pic.twitter.com/zJ3Zg2uBX1
- Yesterday was National Signing Day for college football, and....yikes.