The Mariners played a baseball game yesterday! And today they play on TV!
Baseball is back and it feels incredible.
In Mariners News...
- Here are some pictures from the Mariners’ 3-2 win over the Padres.
- Ben Gamel made a diving catch yesterday.
- Dee Gordon’s first at bat of the spring was a leadoff double.
- Here are some photos Ken Lambert of the Seattle Times has taken at Spring Training.
- Dan Altavilla struck out the side in the ninth to seal the deal for Seattle. You can read Eric’s recap of the Mariners’ first game of the spring right here.
- Unrelated to baseball, but more cranes are coming to Seattle.
- Hisashi Iwakuma reflects on 2017 and talks about rejoining the Mariners on a minor league deal.
- This is an incredible story.
When the hurricane hit in Puerto Rico Robinson Cano offered Edwin Diaz the chance to spend the off season in the DR working out with him. For Diaz however, there was no question he was going home. https://t.co/cWxuBMvtz7— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) February 23, 2018
- Don’t be surprised to not see much of Cano, Cruz, and Haniger early in the spring.
Cano, Cruz and Haniger won't play the first few games. Dee Gordon wants to play in every game to get reps in centerfield.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 23, 2018
Around the League...
- The Tigers signed Fransisco Liriano to a one-year deal for a reasonable salary.
- The Rays’ top pitching prospect Brett Honeywell tore his UCL.
- Matt Chapman of the Athletics needed a cortisone shot to decrease some inflammation.
Matt Chapman says his MRI showed no structural damage. He got a cortisone shot to relieve inflammation around sesamoid bone.— Jane Lee (@JaneMLB) February 23, 2018
- Graveyard Baseball listed who’s next from Japan’s NPB?
- Michael Saunders found a new home after getting released by the Pirates.
Royals have signed OF Michael Saunders to a minor-league contract. Saunders was released by the Pirates today— Maria Torres (@maria_torres3) February 23, 2018
- The league is standardizing storage for baseballs.
MLB is standardizing baseball storage for 2018! Impact could be BIG. We don't know how each team stores balls currently, but we do know outdoor humidity levels. pic.twitter.com/0e92rQNiOw— Derek Carty (@DerekCarty) February 24, 2018
- Oregon State’s highest draft prospect might have gotten hurt.
.@BeaverBaseball All-American Nick Madrigal had an X-ray tonight following a left hand injury. #Beavs team doctor will meet with him tomorrow. Fear is that he could miss 4-6 weeks. More tomorrow. #MLBDraft— Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) February 24, 2018
- Curtis Granderson hit the first home run of the spring.
- Jeff Sullivan says Eric Hosmer and Christian Yelich do not need to chance.
- UW Baseball’s home opener got canceled last night, so they will play their home opener today at 1:00 PM.
CANCELLED: UW and @UCR_Baseball series opener tonight scheduled for 6:00 p.m. has been cancelled due to weather. The two teams will play a doubleheader Saturday starting at 1 pm, which is a different time than originally scheduled. pic.twitter.com/g4pW9OFBs9— Washington Baseball (@UW_Baseball) February 24, 2018