Good morning everyone and happy Thursday! Tomorrow is the first game of the Cactus League for the Mariners. Just one more day before we get some real fake baseball. Here are some links to get you through your day.
In Mariners news...
- The Batting Stance Guy is going to visit Peoria today.
Excited to spend tomorrow with a team. Not telling, but rhymes with Meattle Sariners.— Batting Stance Guy (@BattingStanceG) February 21, 2018
- The A’s and Mariners will open the 2019 season in Tokyo.
- Rob Whalen is back in action with the M’s after taking some time off last year to focus on dealing with his depression.
Around the league...
- This is pretty unsurprising considering they had basically no outfielders.
Breaking: The Marlins have signed outfielder Cameron Maybin, source says. He's in camp already.— Tim Healey (@timbhealey) February 21, 2018
- Former Mariners alert!
Nats have signed veteran reliever Joaquin Benoit to a one-year deal for $1M, according to person familiar.— Chelsea Janes (@chelsea_janes) February 19, 2018
Outfielder Michael Saunders signs minor-league deal with #Pirates— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) February 21, 2018
- Sung Min Kim at Fangraphs notes that there’s now a precedence for players to go to Asia as a pitstop before coming back to the MLB.
- The Rangers are positioning themselves well for the newest Cuban prospect.
The #Rangers have traded minor league righthander Miguel Medrano to the #Reds for international signing space. The add'l space the Rangers acquired comes on the heels of Cuban OF Juan Pablo Martinez being cleared to sign. Rangers are considered one of the favorites for him— Kyle Glaser (@KyleAGlaser) February 21, 2018
- Colby Rasmus has come out of retirement and signed a minor league deal with the Orioles.
- The Rays signed outfielder Carlos Gomez to a one-year contract.
- The Rangers agreed to a deal with right-hander Jesse Chavez.
- Britni de la Cretaz at The Hardball Times wonders how the Giants should handle Barry Bonds’ number retirement.
- Craig Calcaterra is not happy with the way the Rays have been operating over the last couple of weeks.
- The Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings will play a preseason game at Key Arena in October in something of a homecoming for Kevin Durant.
- The USA Women’s Hockey team knocked out Canada in the gold medal game last night on this incredible shot in a shoot-out.
- Make sure to swing by this upcoming Lookout Landing meetup to support a good cause!