Good morning folks! Yesterday we got our first taste of Mariners news from spring training. Some of it was good, some of it was bad. Let’s review what you might have missed.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners opened camp yesterday with news that Ryon Healy has been dealing with a hand injury for most of the offseason. It’s not yet known when he’ll be able to return to action. Injury updates on Tony Zych and Guillermo Heredia are also included.
- The M’s also inked outfielder Junior Lake to a minor league contract.
- Even though Healy is hurt, this is still a pretty cool video of the new first baseman bonding with Mitch Haniger.
- The team agreed to deals with a trio of international amateurs.
M’s sign 3 international prospects. OF Arturo Guerrero, OF Yeral Casilla & IF Osiris Castillo. pic.twitter.com/mFUIGEOxY7— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) February 14, 2018
Around the league...
- Good luck Ken!
Personal news: I am undergoing back surgery tomorrow. Had surgery for scoliosis when I was 17 and need additional work done, so you won’t hear from me for a while. Goal is to be back by Opening Day - in the best shape of my life!— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 14, 2018
- This is kinda sad...
Shohei Ohtani said he is living alone in a three-bedroom apartment. “I feel kind of lonely by myself in such a big place,” he said through his interpreter. Happy Valentine’s, y’all.— Pedro Moura (@pedromoura) February 14, 2018
- Ohtani will apparently not be seeing the outfield this season. Instead he’ll focus on his pitching and DH duties.
- Former top Mariners prospect and current Braves pitcher Luiz Gohara is preparing for his first professional season without his father to support him.
- It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense that the free agents want their own spring training but won’t let teams scout them.
From a club executive: “A special assistant to the General Manager was asked to leave the workout (of unsigned free agents) today at IMG. Was escorted out. I cannot believe the players wouldn't want scouts at their workout to see who's in shape.”— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 14, 2018
- Marc Normandin argues that front office folks don’t need to be present at free agent spring training.
- Bleacher Report has this neat longform piece on Jake Peavy and his attempt at a comeback in baseball.
- Longtime writer Grant Brisbee is leaving McCovey Chronicles.
- Wade Miley found a new home.
Veteran starter Wade Miley signs minor League deal with #Brewers that guarantees him $2.5 million wirh major-league team and $5.7 million if full time starter and reaches 29 starts.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) February 15, 2018
Update: 7:30 A.M.
A Ryon Healy update ... he underwent surgery to remove a bone spur in his hand and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 15, 2018