Hello everyone! Starting today, I’ll be heading out of town for a little over a week. This will be my last links post until the end of the Winter Meetings, which I will be personally attending. Until then, our talented and entertaining staff will be taking over for me to provide you with daily news coverage. For today, here’s what you need to know as you get going with your day.
In Mainers news...
- The Mariners have checked in on the latest pitcher to come over from Japan.
West Cosst bias? Market strong for lefty Yusei Kikuchi, with dodgers, padres, giants and mariners among those believed in. Sea and SF would be interesting, as one is tearing down the other thought to be considering retooling.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) November 30, 2018
- And here’s the latest on Carlos Santana.
The #Mariners are telling teams they're fine with holding onto Carlos Santana. But sources say they've already had conversations with multiple teams about moving him. The #Phillies had several teams interested if they ate $. So the presumption is Seattle would have to take some $— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) December 5, 2018
- Pinstripe Alley wonders if the M’s and Yankees could hook up for another trade this offseason.
- Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.
Bruce said he was told he would be going to spring training with the Mariners and is planning as such. But he also admitted that things can change.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) December 3, 2018
Around the league...
- Over at The Athletic, Jayson Stark discussed the logistics and potential consequences of banning the shift in baseball. ($)
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs doesn’t quite see the rationale behind banning the shift.
- The Diamondbacks and Cardinals connected on a blockbuster swap that sends All-Star first baseman Paul Goldschmidt to St. Louis.
- The former Mariners pitching coach has found a new home.
#Marlins have named Mel Stottlemyre, Jr. as new pitching coach. Former Royals manager Trey Hillman will be new infield and 1B coach. Jeff Livesey is new assistant hitting coach. @TheAthleticMIA— Andre Fernandez (@FernandezAndreC) December 5, 2018
- It sounds like Robinson Canó wasn’t a big fan of his move to first base last year.
“Lots of bad memories!”— Steve Gelbs (@SteveGelbs) December 5, 2018
Robinson Cano briefly attempted to play the corner infield positions last year. Let’s just say, his hope is that he doesn’t have to do that again anytime soon. pic.twitter.com/7rZHdClD8p
- This guy is absurd.
Thor, 97mph Two Seamer (with motion tail). pic.twitter.com/ZcRe7FSiXL— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) December 5, 2018
- Grant Brisbee wonders where the Nationals could go now that they’ve signed Patrick Corbin.
- Huh...this should be interesting.
The XFL announces eight cities for 2020 start: Dallas, Houston, LA, New York, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Washington D.C. pic.twitter.com/sYH2hCtnDe— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) December 5, 2018