Good morning everyone! The offseason is officially underway now that Jerry Dipoto has made a trade. Here’s what else is going on in the baseball world.
In Mainers news...
- Well, uhh...
Congrats to Mike Zunino, named Wilson Defensive Player of Year at catcher.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) November 7, 2018
Top catcher in MLB based on "a formula that combines traditional defensive stats with advanced metrics, as well as the data logged by the baseball experts working for the scouting service Inside Edge."
Around the league...
- This is what Bryce Harper turned down. Safe bet that he isn’t going back to Washington.
Nationals’ offer to Bryce Harper was roughly $300 million for 10 years — so an AAV of $30 million — according to multiple people familiar with it. No opt outs.— Chelsea Janes (@chelsea_janes) November 7, 2018
- Some front office moves going on in Miami...
The Miami Marlins today announced that the club has hired Adrian Lorenzo as Special Assistant, Baseball Operations and Scouting, and Nate Adcock, Dana Duquette, and Scott Fairbanks as Area Scouts. Dana is Dan Duquette’s son.— Maury Brown (@BizballMaury) November 7, 2018
- Just brutal.
- Looks like Dansby Swanson is on the mend.
The Atlanta #Braves today announced that SS Dansby Swanson underwent a procedure to remove a loose body in his left wrist on Monday, November 5. Braves head physician Dr. Gary Lourie performed the procedure in Atlanta and Swanson is expected to be ready for spring training.— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) November 7, 2018
- Gary Sánchez too.
Brian Cashman says Gary Sánchez is having a surgery on his left shoulder this offseason. He says it has been bothering him since 2017.— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) November 8, 2018
- Wes Jenkins at The Hardball Times thinks that an MLB team should take a shot on former Mariner Wladimir Balentein.
- Sport Techie reported on an interesting story of a woman who inherited Rocco Baldelli’s phone number after he changed numbers. She started to receive messages intended for Rocco as a result.
- Bring him home!
Life is Joe Beimel at 39 years of age pulling down 100+ MPH for the sheer challenge of it. Shirtless. What a dude. pic.twitter.com/0ttyrd08z2— Kyle Boddy (@drivelinebases) November 8, 2018
- The Braves are making a strong push for J.T. Realmuto.
Sources indicate the Braves have a strong offer on the table for Marlins All Star Catcher J.T. Realmuto. MIA may prefer him dealt outside of NL East, but at this point team is operating as though a trade is likely to happen.— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) November 7, 2018
- Tim Tebow will reportedly start the 2019 season at Triple-A, putting him just one step away from the bigs.
- Wow, good for him.