Good morning everyone! After a slow couple of weeks to the offseason, all of a sudden the Mariners are in the news everywhere you look. I suppose it was only a matter of time. Well we’ve got news on them and more to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, the M’s are in discussions for a potential new trade.
#Padres have discussed a trade with #Mariners in which they would acquire SS Jean Segura and RHP Mike Leake for OF Wil Myers, sources tell The Athletic. Leake would need to waive his no-trade clause for deal to occur, and also is weighing other potential options, one source says.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 20, 2018
SD want money as even as possible in any Myers trade. Would take on $21M if he went to SEA for Segura, Leake. Figure negotiable. Other names possible. Again, deal not close. But Leake’s awareness of talks indicate advanced discussions; both he and Segura would need to approve.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 20, 2018
- Corey Brock at The Athletic wonders where the Mariners go from here after dealing away James Paxton. ($)
- Brendan Gawlowski at The Athletic scouts the return the M’s got for Paxton. ($)
- Kiley McDaniel notes that this trade likely moves the Mariners out of last place in the Fangraphs farm system rankings.
- Minor League Ball shines a light on Dom Thompson-Wliliams, who is perhaps the least-hyped piece involved in the Paxton trade.
- Jim Bowden at The Athletic gives the Mariners a “B” grade on the Paxton trade. ($)
- Luke Arkins at Prospect Insider gives his take on the Paxton deal, saying it was a necessary move for the M’s at this point in time.
- Mariners right-hander Rob Whalen held a baseball camp in his hometown. This is apparently something he does every year.
- It’s official!
Around the league...
- The Padres did complete one interesting move yesterday.
Correction: #Padres have sold 3B Christian Villanueva’s rights to the Yomiuri Giants, not the Hanshin Tigers.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 21, 2018
- We’ll miss you, Adrián!
- Bill Baer says there’s no question about it: Adrián Beltré is a Hall of Famer.
Man accused of driving onto and damaging the Iowa baseball field made famous by the 1989 movie "Field of Dreams" must serve two to five years of probation. https://t.co/wSEhHSWLyL— The Associated Press (@AP) November 20, 2018
- Check out these sweet new kicks. The Max Scherzer ones are an especially good burn.
- Mr. Consistency himself.
Oakland's Khris Davis has been named the winner of the Edgar Martinez Outstanding DH of the Year Award. Nelson Cruz won it in 2017.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) November 20, 2018
- Leonys Martīn is ready to get back into action!
Great news from Cleveland: Leonys Martin has received medical clearance to resume all baseball activity. @Indians expect he will be “ready for full baseball activity at the start of the 2019 season.” @MLBNetwork @MLB— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) November 20, 2018
- The Rays DFA’d first baseman C.J. Cron, much to the confusion of many.
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs takes a dive into the skillset of Yusei Kikuchi, who should be coming stateside shortly.
- The college basketball landscape is a’changing...
Memphis and Penny Hardaway just beat Kentucky for James Wiseman — the No. 1 player in the country.— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) November 20, 2018
Memphis basketball is officially back.
- But most importantly was the way in which he revealed his school decision.