Good morning everyone! Yesterday brought some pretty sad but ultimately necessary news for M’s fans: James Paxton will no longer pitch for Seattle. There was a lot of fallout from the deal, and we’ve got all of that and more in this morning’s edition of the links.
In Mariners news...
- Looks like Paxton was nearly an Astro.
- Justus Sheffield is not only happy to be a Mariner, he’s also great at utilizing pop culture (for those unaware, this is in reference to the latest Ariana Grande song).
- A pretty fun connection for the newest M’s prospects.
strange quirk of this prospect package for James Paxton: Erik Swanson and Dom Thompson-Williams were teammates on the Iowa Western CC team that won the 2014 Junior College World Series— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) November 19, 2018
- It sounds like the Paxton trade was nearly much bigger.
Source: #Yankees mentioned #Mariners SS Jean Segura in trade talks before decision was made to focus on Paxton alone. Segura’s inclusion in the deal would have all but eliminated Yankees as possible destination for Manny Machado. @MLB @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) November 19, 2018
- It is time to begin campaigning for #EdgarHOF.
The Baseball Hall of Fame ballot has been announced. Along with Edgar Martinez, former Mariners Freddy Garcia, Jason Bay, Derek Lowe and Omar Vizquel are included on the ballot.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) November 19, 2018
Ballots must be postmarked by Dec. 31. Results will be announced Jan. 22.
- If you haven’t already, check out this Athletic piece about Sheffield from August about his story. ($)
James Paxton had a career-best strikeout rate of 32.2% in 2018, the 5th-highest mark in MLB (min. 150 IP) and the highest strikeout rate by a Mariners starter since Randy Johnson in 1997 (34.2%). No starter in Yankees history has had a strikeout rate of at least 30% (min. 150 IP) pic.twitter.com/mWnXAbU5HP— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) November 19, 2018
- Baseball America gives its scouting reports on all of the players involved in the Paxton trade.
Around the league...
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs looked at the Yankees’ side of the Paxton trade.
- Check out the newest minor league team in Colorado Springs!
Hey everyone, the Rocky Mountain Vibes are a real baseball team and their logos are amazing! pic.twitter.com/sXIkpTjw38— SB Nation (@SBNation) November 19, 2018
- Eric Enders at The Hardball Times explores the oddities of some of baseball’s lost parks.
- There’s another catcher off the board. This likely takes the Nats out of the J.T. Realmuto sweepstakes too.
Breaking: Kurt Suzuki has agreed to a two-year deal with the Nationals.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) November 19, 2018
- The Indians have released a new alternate jersey, which is completely free of Chief Wahoo.
- Sounds like the Paul Goldschmidt trade talks are accelerating.
#Astros, #STLCards are the two teams that have had the most meaningful discussions with the #DBacks about a trade for Paul Goldschmidt, sources tell The Athletic. No deal is close; talks not yet advanced.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 20, 2018
- David Schoenfield takes a look at the 20 new additions to the MLB Hall of Fame ballot.
- Meanwhile in men’s college hoops last night... (Rutgers would go on to win 63-36)