Good tidings to you all this Friday, the first of its kind in November. It’s decision day for many options around the league, so there will be plenty to keep an eye on for as we head towards free agency. We’re at the point where every day has at least some interesting tidbits, and it’s shaping up like this offseason could be a slightly more interesting one than last year’s grind.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed our blurb yesterday, Marco Gonzales received a unique extension, awarding him 2 years and $1.9 million for the next two seasons, after which he will enter arbitration as scheduled. The deal was effectively a settlement to resolve a grievance Gonzales had filed while a member of the Cardinals organization, wherein St. Louis had arguably used advance knowledge of his injury to deny Gonzales both MLB pay and service time.
- In other roster news, Erasmo Ramirez appears destined to become a free agent. Unsurprisingly, Seattle was unlikely to match the ~$4-5 million Ramirez would’ve commanded in arbitration.
- Seattle also made a number of promotions within their front office. Among the many moves, Justin Hollander joins Jeff Kingston in the role of Assistant GM.
The Mariners made some promotions in their baseball ops staff. If you recall they let some people go just before the season ended. pic.twitter.com/ThOG4h5MR7— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) November 1, 2018
- Brendan Gawlowski looked at a middle path for the Mariners, involving an exchange of shortstops and a wait-and-see approach. ($)
- In case you missed it, single game M’s tickets will go on sale November 17th, and at least a few special event nights have been announced. Lou-Au, anyone?
Mariners announce that single-game tickets will go on sale on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 10 a.m. PT. Here's a sneak peak at some of next season's special event nights. pic.twitter.com/7EcAm4QX1t— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) November 1, 2018
- The Tacoma Rainiers offered a tribute to Willie McCovey, who once played for the Rainiers when they were a Giants affiliate:
Rest in Peace Willie. Proud to have you as part of Cheney Stadium's opening season history. pic.twitter.com/2kX5YfV8Jc— Tacoma Rainiers (@RainiersLand) November 1, 2018
- Dave Szymborski of the ZiPS projection system wrote his elegy for the 2018 Mariners.
- Young James Paxton was evidentally an ace on Trick or Treat Street:
Around the league...
- Kim Ng has been the go-to interview candidate for years when teams have considered hiring a female GM candidate, but supposedly the Giants may finally take the final step.
- Shohei Ohtani won Baseball Digest’s Rookie of the Year award.
- Bob Gibson was asked about cheating in baseball. His answer was thoughtful!
- Former Mariners closer Carson Smith has elected free agency after being outrighted to AAA by the Red Sox. Though he will receive a World Series ring, his 23 2⁄3 innings in three years with Boston will be best remembered by their conclusion: Smith injured his shoulder after hurling his glove in frustration with a bad outing, and missed the rest of the 2018 season.
- The Braves lost a beloved member of their ballpark family.
- Jon Heyman and his mysterious expert friend made their annual offseason predictions for each free agent’s contract.
- The Cubs have exercised their option on RHP Pedro Strop.
- While still facing uncertainty in the future of Clayton Kershaw, the Dodgers locked up INF David Freese to a 1 year/$5 million deal.
- Jeff Sullivan’s annual “Worst Called Ball of the Year” is in, and it is worth a read as always.
John’s Friday Pick
Friday’s are for the birds. Anyways I hope you all find the hot duck you deserve.