Good morning everyone! We sure had an exciting first playoff game in Chicago yesterday. Today we have the A’s and Yankees in the American League Wild Card Game. Here’s what you need to know before game time.
In Mariners news...
- It sounds like Jerry Dipoto is determined to hang onto Edwin Díaz, Mitch Haniger, and Marco Gonzales this offseason.
Around the league...
- The A’s will use Liam Hendriks as an opener in today’s Wild Card Game.
- A very surprising move by the Twins considering the St. Paul native was named the AL Manager of the Year in 2017.
Paul Molitor has been fired by the Minnesota Twins— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 2, 2018
- Here are your Hank Aaron Award finalists.
MLB announced the Hank Aaron Award finalists, which honors the best offensive player in each league.— Yahoo Sports MLB (@MLByahoosports) October 2, 2018
(They also forgot someone, so we fixed it.) pic.twitter.com/sDkCv2bPfy
- Wow, that’s a weird trend.
There were 65 HR robberies this season.— Sports Info Solutions (@SportsInfo_SIS) October 2, 2018
That's the most for any of the 15 seasons in our data set.
Adam Engel 3
Keon Broxton 2
Lorenzo Cain 2
Jake Marisnick 2
Odubel Herrera 2
Delino Deshields 2
Mookie Betts 2
Jarrod Dyson 2
JaCoby Jones 2
Mitch Haniger 2
- Well there’s one player you can consider already dealt: Phillies third baseman Maikel Franco.
Just a matter of time before Maikel Franco is traded. https://t.co/9J3vCyNwsB— Joe Giglio (@JoeGiglioSports) October 2, 2018
- Here’s a weird stat for you!
The @Rockies won their first winner-take-all playoff game, leaving the White Sox as the only franchise never to win one.— Stats By STATS (@StatsBySTATS) October 3, 2018
Colorado is only the 3rd team to win an extra-inning winner-take-all game on the road, joining the 1980 Phillies (NLCS at Hou) and 2016 Cubs (WS at Cle).
- Whitney McIntosh ranked every MLB playoff team. Incidentally, she had the Cubs ranked last and they already lost.
- Hockey in Seattle!