Hey folks and happy Wednesday! I hope everybody enjoyed the first game of the World Series. Here’s what you may have missed from yesterday.
In Mariners news...
- Greg Johns answers a number of questions in his latest mailbag, including ones on the competence of Mike Zunino and the naming rights situation with Safeco Field.
- Evan White got all of that one.
- Jayson Jenks at The Athletic wrote about the personal and physical struggles that bullpen coach Brian DeLunas faced all season. Prepare some tissues for this one. ($)
- The Mariners put a bow on the 2018 season...
Complete list of #Mariners in @BaseballAmerica’s rankings of top prospects in each minor league:— Bob Dutton (@ByBobDutton) October 23, 2018
Hi-A California League
1B Evan White #14
Short-A Northwest League
OF Josh Stowers #12
C Cal Raleigh #13
That’s a thin system!
Around the league...
- The FiveThirtyEight sports staff took a look at the paths that the Red Sox and Dodgers each took to get to the World Series.
- Check out Jeanna Thomas’ feature on our very own Kate Preusser, and her other one on Isabelle Minasian!
- Grant Brisbee provides a list of reasons for you to watch the World Series.
$50 kept these two former Negro League stars from being in the same @mlb OF! The Boston Braves offered Henry Aaron $50 a month more than the NY Giants, or we could’ve had Aaron, Willie Mays plus Negro League great Monte Irvin in the same OF! @Braves @SFGiants @Royals @espn RT pic.twitter.com/AyV917flXc— negroleaguesmuseum (@nlbmprez) October 23, 2018
- Meanwhile, in San Diego...
Bench coach Mark McGwire informed the Padres earlier this month that he won't be returning next season. That leaves the Padres with a third coaching-staff vacancy to fill.— AJ Cassavell (@AJCassavell) October 23, 2018
- Rest in peace, Hank.
It is with deep sadness we announce that former #SFGiants broadcaster Hank Greenwald passed away peacefully yesterday afternoon at the age of 83 after a long battle with heart and kidney complications.#ForeverGiant pic.twitter.com/dwG9uVWag3— San Francisco Giants (@SFGiants) October 23, 2018