In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic talks about the Mariners’ decision to cut ties with Mel Stottlemyre, Jr. and what they’re looking for in a new pitching coach. ($)
- Corey Brock also takes us behind the curtain on what it’s like writing about the Mariners under Scott Servais. ($)
- Congratulations, Edwin!
Around the league...
- A’s third baseman Matt Chapman successfully underwent surgery on his thumb.
- Oh wow.
Incredible footage of the #Pittsburgh @Pirates locker room celebration after their tense, Game 7 World Series win, 47 years ago TODAY, in 1971!— Odd Pittsburgh (@OddPittsburgh) October 17, 2018
In his final World Series appearance, #RobertoClemente became the first Spanish-speaking ballplayer to earn the #WorldSeries MVP award. pic.twitter.com/uCOearc1iu
- This is neat.
- Jeff McNeil is the best player you’ve never heard of. Amazin’ Avenue talks about his great rookie season with the Mets.
- The Reds have selected the finalists for their managerial opening.
- Imagine being able to do this.
Boban has had enough of these mortals pic.twitter.com/2fUyRYphRp— Rob Perez (@World_Wide_Wob) October 18, 2018
- The NBA G-League will offer $125K salaries to select high school players so they don’t have to attend college before going to the draft.