Good morning and happy Wednesday! Yesterday was the first big work day around baseball since late December, so we finally have a bit of news to talk about. Let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- Carson Cistulli takes a look at outfielder Cam Perkins, who the Mariners claimed off waivers earlier in the offseason.
- Kyle Seager has been the most consistent hitter in baseball over the last five seasons.
- Max Povse will be competing for a starting rotation role this season rather than pitch out of the bullpen. Jerry Dipoto admitted that converting him was a mistake.
- The Mariners caravan will begin its tour next week.
Around the league...
- Yeah, this is pretty funny.
- J.D. Martinez is reportedly holding a five-year contract offer from the Red Sox.
- It’s time for the big-splash Padres!
- Looks like the Phillies are moving in a similar direction as the Mariners were when Seattle hired Andy McKay.
I am beyond excited and honored to announce that this year I will be joining the @Phillies organization as a Mental Skills Coach!— Hannah Thurley, M.S. (@hannah_thurley) January 1, 2018
- This may seem like an abnormally slow offseason, but Royals Review notes that general managers have been waiting out free agents like this for years.
- A former UW basketball player saved the Suns with a tremendous block last night.