Hello, good morning, and a happy Monday to you. January is almost over, which is just splendid. Let’s get through this third-to-last day of the first-to-worst month with some medium-to-spicy links.
In Mariners news...
- MLB Network ranked their top 10 catchers in the league, and Mike Zunino came in 7th.
- The Modesto Nuts won the Modesto Small Business of the Year award, which is probably not insignificant.
- Mariners prospect Ian Miller had a notable offseason accomplishment, and a former Mariners farmhand had an opinion on it...
Those are rookie numbers— Tyler O'Neill (@toneill21) January 29, 2018
- Confidence is definitely a good sign, right? ...Right?
“Yeah, we’re gonna make the playoffs. It’s time.”@Mariners manager Scott Servais answers one of the fans’ most pressing questions in an interview with @MichelleLudtka tonight on “Q It Up Sports,” 9:30pm JOEtv, 10:30 @Q13FOX pic.twitter.com/joNhfPGevd— Aaron Levine (@AaronQ13Fox) January 29, 2018
Around the league...
- It’s not MLB-related, but Freddy Garcia is still dealin’ at age 41. Fun fact: he also struck out Jesus Montero this game.
Freddy García cierra el primer innng ante Cardenales con ponche a Rangel Ravelo. pic.twitter.com/RVscCjHOPy— BeisbolPlay (@beisbolplayve) January 27, 2018
- Rangers pitcher Keone Kela has undergone seemingly successful stem cell therapy on his throwing shoulder. The long and short of stem cell therapy is that stem cells — which can turn into any kind of cell, be it a heart, brain, muscle, or bone cell — are transplanted from the bone marrow to another part of the body. The cells in that part of the body secrete little signals that differentiate the stem cells into whatever they need to be — in this case, shoulder muscle cells! It’s very cool, I swear.
- Someone tell Bryce Harper that cupping doesn’t do anything except make you look stupid.
Bryce Harper is hitting 80 home runs this year pic.twitter.com/EoZEnxs3nD— Shaun Newkirk (@Shauncore) January 25, 2018
- The A’s have some pretty sweet alternate uniforms coming this year.
Three-quarters of the infield. pic.twitter.com/chtmyMaGoO— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) January 26, 2018
- Someone ask Lookout Landing legal expert Tim Cantu about the validity of the “passionate kissing” defense.
- Wake up super early on Wednesday and witness a rare event — a lunar eclipse, supermoon, and blue moon, all at the same time.