Good morning everyone and happy Thursday! Here are some links to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- Baseball Prospectus provided its top 10 Mariners prospect list.
Around the league...
- It looks like the Phillies are going in a unique direction by hiring a coach specifically to improve catcher defense.
The Phillies hired Craig Driver, an assistant baseball coach at Yale. He'll have an interesting title: bullpen catcher/receiving.— Matt Gelb (@MattGelb) January 23, 2018
- Someone vandalized the “Field of Dreams” field.
- Travis Sawchik at Fangraphs looks for a good landing spot for Mike Moustakas.
- Four players were elected to the Hall of Fame yesterday. Grant Brisbee tries to determine when each one of them became worthy of induction.
- It’s looking like Yu Darvish will likely sign sometime this week. The Twins and Brewers are the suspected frontrunners. The Phillies are also a dark horse if Darvish’s asking price drops enough.
- Eric Stephen previews the Hall of Fame class of 2019.
- Lorenzo Cain has some four-year contract offers on the table that he’s mulling over.
- The Rays completely blew their opportunity to be something great while they had some fantastic teams, writes Jeff Sullivan.
- Former Olympic Gymnastics team doctor and sexual abuser Larry Nassar was sentenced to 175 years in jail in an emotional hearing yesterday. More than 150 women and families testified against him. Michigan State University’s president has stepped down amid allegations that many higher-ups at the school knew about his actions while he worked for the university.