Good morning everyone! Today’s the big day; we’ll find out whether Edgar Martinez will receive a bid to the Hall of Fame on his ninth year of eligibility, or whether he’ll have to wait next year to learn his fate. The announcement is slated for 6pm eastern, 3pm pacific today. Here are some links to hold you over until then.
In Mariners news...
- Everett native and Rays outfielder Steven Souza, Jr. went after a Tampa Bay beat reporter who didn’t include Edgar on his ballot.
Dear @TBTimes_Rays,— Steven Souza Jr. (@SouzaJr) January 23, 2018
You are hereby on probation from interviews until my childhood hero, Edgar Martinez is rightfully voted in to the Hall Of Fame. This may seem unprofessional and unfair, but I say to you “My oh My”.
Longtime Mariner Fan
- Mariners owner John Stanton discussed the idea of Major League Baseball expanding into nearby Portland.
- Who put up these billboards in Puerto Rico?
Around the league...
- Left-handed pitcher Glen Perkins has decided to retire.
- The latest edition of Short Relief compares some of the best free agents on the market to a gigantic robotic spider.
- Uhh...he knows those always end up online later right?
Mike Trout says on a conference call that he's not sure yet if he's going to the Super Bowl because he likes watching at home and watching the commercials.— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) January 23, 2018
- It looks like the Brewers are going in hard after top players on the market.
Source : Brewers have put together a trade offer & have shown strong interest Marlins OF Christian Yelich. Other teams remain in the mix.— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) January 23, 2018
- Lindsey Adler thinks that expanding the ballot gives Edgar Martinez an easier path to the Hall.
- Jeez, you don’t hear about third offenses very often.
Astros’ Jonathan Singleton suspended 100 games for third positive test for a drug of abuse.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) January 23, 2018
- Alex Rodriguez is set to join ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball crew.
- Grant Brisbee is excited for the chaos that would ensue if MLB implemented a league-wide pitch clock.
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs argues that the Cubs are the team that needs Yu Darvish the most.
- David Schoenfield wonders why Vladimir Guerrero has been given so much love by the voters this year.