Hello, welcome to Tuesday. It’s still January. If you squint really hard, you can see very beginnings of the baseball season over yonder on the horizon. That’s pretty neat. A long ways to go, but it’s there.
In Mariners news...
- Oh, heyyyyyy, thereeee, Pearl Jam’s gonna play at Safeco Field twice. Ooooh yeah!
- Edwin Diaz co-hosted a charity softball game in Naguabo, Puerto Rico with Martin Maldonado. Robinson Cano made an appearance, as did Javy Baez, and Yadier and Jose Molina.
Around the league...
- Well said, Dillon.
Dillon Gee on MLB Network: "I appreciate you having me on, but I think it sums up the Hot Stove season that you have me on".— Ben Yoel (@Ben_Yoel) January 22, 2018
- Kiley McDaniel asks, “What Kind of Team Do You Want to Root For?” on Fangraphs.
- Don’t worry! Life doesn’t end at 30 according to Craig Edwards on Fangraphs.
- If this is true, why the heck is Chris Archer still a Ray?
- Pirates sign 16-year-old Dominican catching prospect Yeison Ceballo.
- Giants to pick up another past-his-prime-yet-serviceable player:
- Former Mariner and part-time bullpen mop-up guy Chris Gimenez joins the Cubs:
Free-agent catcher Chris Gimenez is signing with the Cubs, source tells SB Nation.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) January 23, 2018
- Aw yeah, that stove is hot as heck. Don’t you dare touch it:
Source: Padres sign Allen Craig to a minor-league deal. Ex-Cardinal/Red Sox last appeared in majors in 2015.— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) January 23, 2018
- On baseball in post-Hurricane Maria Puerto Rico, from the Washington Post.
- First of all, one of my favorite things in the world: a Philadelphia sports fan getting OWNED.
This was the second, more extensive angle we were gifted. Here’s the first, which keeps getting taken down for some reason:
Eagles fan runs into subway column. pic.twitter.com/PxcQyF8yrH— Gordon Keith (@gordonkeith) January 22, 2018
- Secondly, my new favorite rap video:
#NeverHot (A.K.A. the anthem for this offseason’s Hot Stove, amirite?)