Good morning folks. Here are some links to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners have announced their list of non-roster spring training invites.
- This should be a neat interview.
Dr. Lorena Martin will be one of our guests on the Mariners Hot Stove show Wed. night. I'd be happy to ask a listener question or 2. If you've got good ones send them my way!— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) January 16, 2018
Around the league...
- Ichiro is toying with the idea of going back to Japan due to a lack of interest from MLB teams. The M’s and Padres were reportedly in the mix to sign the outfielder earlier this offseason.
- Kiley McDaniel at Fangraphs takes a look at how the Pirates are forced to approach player valuation differently compared to other teams.
- Some are pointing fingers at the Pirates’ ownership for not spending enough money to make the team a consistent contender.
- Alex Kirshner notes that McCutchen’s departure marks the end of an era in Pittsburgh, one in which the team saw rare sustained success.
- Josh Harrison doesn’t want to stick around in Pittsburgh while the Pirates rebuild.
- The Mets reportedly turned down an offer for McCutchen that would have sent Brandon Nimmo to Pittsburgh.
- Former Mariner alert!
Free agent Wade LeBlanc has agreed to a minor league deal with the #yankees. It includes an invite to big league camp and an out clause at the end of spring training. He’ll earn $1M if he makes the big club.— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 16, 2018
- Derek Jeter is starting the process of removing the giant home run sculpture in the Marlins’ outfield.
- McCutchen is more than just a great ballplayer, he’s an extremely kind person.
Just a few days after my daughter was diagnosed with cancer, this came in the mail.— Colin Dunlap (@colin_dunlap) January 15, 2018
Known him a long time and to me he will always be Andrew the man first; ballplayer second. And @TheCUTCH22 is great at being both.
Thank you. pic.twitter.com/N4jFQ6ELwf
- Jeff Passan thinks that Major League Baseball’s economic system is in need of a serious overhaul.
- Rob Manfred is ready to implement a pitch clock throughout the major leagues in 2018.
- Christian Yelich’s agent says that the relationship between the player and the Marlins is beyond repair.
- Our thoughts are with former Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinski and all of those affected by his tragic death that occurred late last night. May he rest in peace.
- One player involved in the Rockets-Clippers altercation from two nights ago reportedly wants to switch teams.
DeAndre Jordan wants to be traded to the Houston Rockets. (Via Stephen A. Smith - ESPN)— Clevis Murray (@ClevisMurray) January 16, 2018