Good morning everyone and happy MLK Day! I hope you all have a wonderful day, and what better way to start it off than with some links?
In Mariners news...
- This is a great story that displays Jerry Dipoto’s kindness and how much he cares about his players.
One of my favorite parts of this week’s Wheelhouse, a story I’m glad got shared publicly—— Colin O'Keefe (@colinokeefe) January 14, 2018
Dalton Kelly won the 2016 PTPA award for the organization and, thus, earned an invite to Major League Spring Training. But he was traded. An invite was a condition of the trade to the Rays.
- Ken Griffey, Jr. was presented the Player Lifetime Achievement award last night by Professional Baseball Scouts Foundation.
- Join the conversation at Minor League Ball as they discuss the Mariners’ farm system.
- Ben Gamel must have been psyched about the Jacksonville Jaguars’ win yesterday!
Around the league...
- MLB Pipeline published their all-defensive minor league team. M’s prospect Evan White made the list at first base.
- Check out this profile on Melissa Mayeux, a shortstop at Miami Dade College who will start and bat in the middle of the order this year for her college’s softball squad. She’s also the first-ever woman to be added to Major League Baseball’s official international signing list, meaning any big league club can sign her.
- Pinstripe Alley doesn’t think Manny Machado would be a good fit for the Yankees right now.
- The Brewers have signed former Mariner Ji-Man Choi to a minor league contract.
- The Minnesota Vikings executed the first-ever “walk-off” touchdown in NFL postseason history yesterday on an incredible throw from a longtime journeyman quarterback.