The hot stove is heating up a little bit! Between a false trade rumor and a big free agent outfielder inking a new contract, we’ve got some news to discuss. Here’s what you need to know as you get ready for your day.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners have announced their minor league coaching staffs for the upcoming season.
Mariners bringing back last year's Minor League coaching staffs pretty much intact. pic.twitter.com/N1kB9xtoYf— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) January 11, 2018
- Here’s a cool feature on one of the new coaches — Cody Buckel — who was a failed prospect and most recently played in the Angels organization.
- And here’s the follow-up article on the Mariners’ ZiPS projections that were posted the other day.
Around the league...
- Yesterday morning, people were freaking out about Gerrit Cole supposedly going to the Astros. Then, we got this.
Source: "No deal" for Gerrit Cole to Houston. "False rumor."— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 10, 2018
As is the case with these things, talks could pick back up quickly. For now, though, Gerrit Cole to Houston is not happening.
- U.S.S. Mariner co-founder and Fangraphs writer Dave Cameron is leaving his writing post to join the Padres organization as an analyst.
- Even the new players want out of Miami.
- Taylor Jungmann left the Brewers organization so he can attempt to play overseas.
- Check out this neat profile on Hannah Thurley, who has been hired by the Phillies to serve as mental skills coach.
- Former Lookout Landing writer and current managing editor of The Hardball Times Meg Rowley tries to find a use for a penalty box in baseball.
- Yu Darvish has narrowed his list of possible teams to just six.
- The Yankees have finally agreed to expand the protective netting in the lower bowl of their stadium after previously refusing to do so.
- Dallas Braden will join the A’s broadcast team as a part-time color commentator in 2018.
- Fish Stripes defends Derek Jeter’s vision for the organization.
- The Mets have signed outfielder Jay Bruce to a three-year contract.