Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day weekend. Today is the first day of classes for me (yay?) so it’s back to the real world, I suppose. Likely the case for many of you as well. Hopefully these links can provide some respite.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, the Mariners made a couple of minor moves. Seattle picked up outfielder Jacob Hanneman and right-handed pitcher Seth Frankoff from the Cubs on waivers. Hanneman is expected to join the team immediately.
Around the league...
- Trevor Bauer and Avisail Garcia got into it with each other in yesterday’s contest. Here’s what Bauer had to say about the incident:
Trevor Bauer on his exchange with Avisail Garcia in the fourth inning. pic.twitter.com/6za1bGyRnF— T.J. Zuppe (@TJZuppe) September 4, 2017
- It just doesn’t seem fair that Leonys Martin pitched in a game just after he left Seattle. Apparently he was dialing it up, just not very effectively.
Leonys Martin makes his Cubs debut vs. Pirates... as an emergency pitcher. Hits 91-92 with fastball, but gave up 3 hits, including HR.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) September 4, 2017
Leonys Martin stares down David Freese after Freese takes him deep. pic.twitter.com/GoktbZptQ3— Ryan Thibodaux (@NotMrTibbs) September 4, 2017
- Speaking of the Cubs, Javier Baez had to go to the hospital after getting kneed in the eye. Baez had some vision issues and it wasn’t clear if he had a concussion.
- In more bad news for Chicago, Jake Arrieta left yesterday’s start in the third inning due to leg issues.
- Justin Verlander is a blessing (for one) and also a curse (for another).
- Gary Sanchez had his suspension dropped to just three games after appealing it. His suspension began yesterday, so there’s still two games left.
- Even though Jeff Loria is no longer the owner of the Marlins, and even though the very rich Derek Jeter is their owner instead, the team is actually planning to decrease team payroll. Even if the team were to trade Giancarlo Stanton, the ownership group would eat up any money he freed up from the books. Pretty strange.
- The Pirates have locked up manager Clint Hurdle for four more seasons.
- Only in Arizona.
J.D. Martinez ties MLB record with 4 HR in a game.— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) September 5, 2017
/double checks location
Or...Los Angeles, I guess?
- Four-homer games are more rare than you probably think.
Perfect games: 23. 4-HR games: 18.— David Schoenfield (@dschoenfield) September 5, 2017
- If you feel so obliged to offer this information, what would your team look like?
Choose a starting 5 of people that have the same birthday as you:— Husband (not sex) (@ThomasAwful) September 3, 2017
SG: Hawksley Workman
SF: Rick Perry
PF: Draymond Green