But I suppose “Saturday” and “Sunday” do as well. Somebody didn’t think these things through. At my school, “Thursday” is designated with the letter “R”, which makes absolutely no sense.
Anyway, enough rambling about day names. Here are those links you were looking for.
In Mariners news...
- Some are saying this could “break the curse,” if you believe in that sort of thing.
Manfred confirmed that Seattle is on list of possible All-Star game hosts. CEO John Stanton said it wouldn't likely be in the near future. https://t.co/SapW8U40Gv— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) September 20, 2017
Around the league...
- Marco Estrada will be sticking around in Toronto for at least another year.
Marco Estrada's one-year extension with #BlueJays has been formally agreed upon, source says. @MLB— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) September 20, 2017
- Padres starter Clayton Richard also signed an extension. The lefty re-upped with San Diego for two years.
- ESPN’s Jesse Rogers did a cool feature on Mike Montgomery, who has had to be the Yes Man for Chicago this year.
- Oh no.
Child gets hit by a foul ball at Yankees game. The players' reactions say it all. pic.twitter.com/YIyaBJq7tT— Jordan Heck (@JordanHeckFF) September 20, 2017
- Eric Longenhagen at Fangraphs wonders how big shortstops can be while still being effective at the position.
- Luis Severino has cemented himself as one of the best pitchers in the game, writes Jeff Sullivan.
- Travis Sawchik looks at how teams might react to this year’s surge in home runs.
- Brad Ausmus’ recent comments seem to indicate that he knows he won’t be back as the manager of the Tigers. I wonder if Lloyd McClendon — their current hitting coach — has any shot at the job.
- Despite some pretty prominent storylines, Grant Brisbee isn’t impressed with how exciting this month has been in baseball.
- Here’s one pretty thrilling race to follow.
Reverse standings:— Dan Hayes (@CSNHayes) September 21, 2017
- Brewers starter Jimmy Nelson will probably miss part of 2018 after undergoing labrum surgery.
- Former major leaguer Raul Mondesi has been sentenced to eight years in prison for corruption while serving as the mayor of San Cristobal in the Dominican Republic.
- Chris Sale became just the second player in the last 15 seasons to record 300 strikeouts in a campaign.
- Mike Moustakas is now the all-time single-season leader in home runs among Royals after hitting his 37th bomb.
- Seahawks running back Eddie Lacy has had a very publicly-known problem with his weight, and the transparency of the issue has only made things worse for him. ESPN got his insight on how he deals with the struggles — both physically and mentally — on a day-to-day basis.