Happy Sunday, friends! We’re 13 baseball games away from the end of the season, and the Mariners are still just 3.5 games out of a wild card spot.
Twins lose. So #Mariners stay 3 1/2 games back in WC2 race. Calendar starting to work against them, though. Just 13 games left.— Bob Dutton (@TNT_Mariners) September 17, 2017
Are you letting yourself believe in the Mariners’ post season possibilities? Explain your answer for extra credit.
In Mariners News...
- The Modesto Nuts won the California League championship
Final post for the @CalLeague1 season. Congrats to the @ModestoNuts on sweeping the playoffs. Special thanks to @MiLBMariners #whatsnext pic.twitter.com/AzIZEYclDj— Mark Duffel (@2mduffel) September 16, 2017
- Last night’s loss to the Astros marks five consecutive losses to Houston for the Mariners.
- Here’s an outline of the expected starting pitchers for the rest of the season.
Around the League...
- Beyond the Box Score highlighted some of the top moments across the league from Friday.
- Chris Anders of Beyond the Box Score analyzes how Oakland’s Matt Olson’s swing adjustment has helped his breakout 2017.
- Speaking of Matt Olson, Dave Cameron shared his thoughts on the Athletics’ young first baseman earlier this week.
- Cody Bellinger tied the NL record for more home runs by a rookie.
- Zach Grienke recorded as many hits (two) as he allowed last night.
Zack Greinke hits: 2.— MLB (@MLB) September 17, 2017
Zack Greinke hits allowed: 2. https://t.co/JSeBUqa7oJ pic.twitter.com/euZR8CbjiR
- Take a look at Nolan Arenado’s fantastic barehanded play.
It only LOOKS easy because it’s Nolan. pic.twitter.com/s7jIxGYj6V— MLB (@MLB) September 17, 2017
- With over 10 games left in the season, the Astros are one game away from clinching their spot as AL West champions.
Almost there.@Astros magic number down to 1, would clinch AL West with Rangers win vs. Angels later tonight: https://t.co/bT2faBySch pic.twitter.com/84ouJYEVVw— MLB (@MLB) September 16, 2017
- Dante Pettis tied the NCAA record for most punt return touchdowns in a career last night as he took his eighth the distance.
DANTE PETTIS CAN'T BE STOPPED.#PurpleReign— UW Football (@UW_Football) September 17, 2017
Watch: @Pac12Network pic.twitter.com/WjtwanPEA0