Good morning everyone! It’s September now. You know what that means.
It’s also 40-man roster season. Expect to see some new Mariners soon.
Let’s get your day started with some links.
In Mariners news...
- The M’s are doing their part to help out with Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
- The Mariners are expected to call up a “fair amount” of players in September.
In Mariners minors news...
- I guess Joey Wong has moved on to coaching?
Also really excited to have former OSU standout and current Seattle Mariner minor league infielder, Joey Wong, join the coaching staff. pic.twitter.com/5WnZMRawb6— L&C Pios Baseball (@lcpiosbaseball) August 31, 2017
Around the league...
- The hype for the Japanese version of Babe Ruth — Shohei Otani — is pumping up...
Teams, according to scout in attendance, that requested seats to see Otani: AZ, BAL, BOS, CHC, CIN, CLE, LAD, NYY, PIT, SEA, TEX, TOR, WAS.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 31, 2017
- Will Adrian Beltre ever get worse with age? Travis Sawchik doesn’t seem to think so.
- A game in Japan ended prematurely thanks to a flock of birds.
- Giancarlo Stanton is in a new music video with artist Lexy Panterra, who I’d never heard of until now.
- Rick Ankiel was one of many athletes who shared their stories about battling mental illness in a USA Today feature.
- Max Scherzer is pitching into Hurricane Harvey relief efforts in his own way: by helping to find homes for pets who were stranded by the storm.
- Pinstripe Alley is not impressed with the Yankees’ use of the 10-day DL.
- The Bombers acquired Eric Kratz from the Indians.
- Cameron Maybin moved from the Angels to the Astros in a waiver deal. And at the buzzer, Houston was able to acquire Justin Verlander from the Tigers.
- Oh yeah, and the Angels did a thing: they acquired Justin Upton from the Tigers and now potentially possess one of the three best outfields in the sport. The Halos also made a deal for infielder Brandon Phillips.
- The Phillies claimed and acquired reliever Juan Nicasio from the Pirates, even though Pittsburgh was hoping he right-hander would end up on a contending team.
- Everyone in the AL West made themselves better as the Rangers picked up Miguel Gonzales.
- Here are some very important scouting reports you all need to see.