In Mariners news...
- In case you hadn’t heard, Yonder Alonso and Danny Valencia are besties.
- Also, if you haven’t read this Player’s Tribune piece by Yonder Alonso about his family’s escape from Cuba and his childhood in Miami, you should. It’s pretty breathtaking.
- James Paxton is currently number 2 in the league for lowest Barrel FIP:
Barrel FIP Leaderboards— Casey Boguslaw (@caseyboguslaw) August 7, 2017
*Stats through 8/6, min 110 IP
*Last 30 days, min 25 IPhttps://t.co/yOPoOdIj45
- The Mariners are doing a media series on Edgar Martinez called #Exce11ence and it’s pretty sweet so far, Hawk Harrelson none withstanding:
#EXCE11ENCE Day 7️⃣— Aaron Goldsmith (@heygoldy) August 8, 2017
"Edgar was a 7th, 8th & 9th inning hitter." Hawk Harrelson talking Edgar is fantastic ↙️
️ https://t.co/ciXkm2UlBW pic.twitter.com/thpXMcZITY
In Mariners minors news...
- Outfielder prospect Kyle Waldrop promoted to triple A Tacoma:
He joins the Rainiers today, filling in Boog Powell's OF spot. https://t.co/RnqjkcZRjz— Mike Curto (@CurtoWorld) August 7, 2017
- Infielder prospect Joseph Rosa has been promoted to single A Clinton:
Congrats @JoosephR02 on the promotion to Clinton!— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 7, 2017
- Rainiers won in the bottom of the 12th inning!
ZACH SHANK WALK-OFF DOUBLE!! RAINIERS WIN, 8-7!!— Tacoma Rainiers (@RainiersLand) August 8, 2017
Rainiers win 8-7!— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 8, 2017
Dean Kiekhefer 0.1IP, 0H, 0R, 0BB, WIN!
Daniel Vogelbach 1-3, 2B, 2R, RBI, 3BB
Taylor Motter 2-5, HR, 2B, 3R, RBI, BB, SB
- Travelers won!
Aaron West and Ryan Kelly post 3 scoreless innings to end it. TRAVS WIN! Shoot off the victory fireworks!— Arkansas Travelers (@ARTravs) August 7, 2017
- Lumberkings lost 3-1 in a game that featured a combined 26 K’s:
RECAP: Peoria, Clinton combine for 26 strikeouts https://t.co/QXYNKQKvbk pic.twitter.com/IQd2slxP1q— Clinton LumberKings (@LumberKings) August 8, 2017
- Also, this happened during a Lumberkings game recently and I can’t stop laughing:
Watch out for flying bats and balls... #ProbablyNotTop10 @LumberKings @barstoolsports pic.twitter.com/mNG4cPnO3T— Nick Zammarelli III (@Zamm94) August 7, 2017
- AquaSox won!
AquaSox win 7-6!— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 8, 2017
Michael Rivera 4IP, 1H, 0R, 2BB, 3K, WIN
Paul Covelle 2IP, 2H, 1R, 0BB, 2K, SV
Johnny Adams 4-5, HR, 2B, 2RBI
Around the league...
- Former Mariners prospect Patrick Kivlehan hit himself a grand slam for the Reds last night:
PATRICK STAR! ⭐⭐⭐⭐— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) August 8, 2017
First-pitch grand slam for @PatrickKivlehan! pic.twitter.com/AMKnE8kSNz
- In case you forgot, Puig is still your friend.
- Nikole Cabeza, transgender RBI Softball player from New Jersey, won this year’s Breaking Barriers award:
Sharon Robinson, daughter of legends Jackie & Rachel Robinson, announces Nikole Cabeza as Breaking Barriers winner. https://t.co/EJa6LfhxzT— Rhea Butcher ️ ⚾️ (@RheaButcher) August 7, 2017
- Well, that’s different:
Remember former #Mets 1B Ike Davis? He's now a rookie-league pitcher in the #Dodgers system. https://t.co/knXWN15sky— John Edwards (@John_Edwards_) August 7, 2017
- Heathcliff Slocumb’s badass name and horrible trade history lives on and teams are finally learning their lesson:
We're a long ways removed from the Healthcliff Slocumb trade. MLB teams aren't overpaying for saves any more. https://t.co/xa4hI9g3eE— Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) August 7, 2017
If you’re wondering what a “goose egg” is as discussed in that article, read this.
- Looks like Jung Ho Kang’s MLB career is done for now, for good reason:
Pirates GM says Jung Ho Kang probably won't be coming back to the States: https://t.co/4i6eCbZ9Pn pic.twitter.com/WqllAHV6Ij— Deadspin (@Deadspin) August 7, 2017
- If you haven’t heard, Seahawks punter Jon Ryan really, really loves baseball.
- GAME OF THRONES SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN SEASON 7, EPISODE 4 AKA THE MOST RECENT ONE....
.......................................Okay, we clear?
All right, so that episode was nuts. Here is a clever gif splicing a big moment from the last episode with the big moment from the movie “Jaws.” It has hypnotized me.