It’s Friday everyone! Even though the Mariners have now lost back-to-back games, surely that is something to celebrate. Let’s get you started on those links.
In Mariners news...
- Are the Mariners — as Ken Rosenthal put it — really destined to crash? Luke Arkins investigates this in his latest piece with Prospect Insider.
In Mariners minors news...
- Yesterday was a pretty lame day in the M’s minor league system, capped off by this:
AZL Indians no-hit the AZL Mariners. 1-0 is the final.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 4, 2017
Clay Chandler 5IP, 4H, 0R, 0BB, 7K
Chris Castellanos 3IP, 2H, 0R, 0BB, 9K
- The good news is that the Clinton LumberKings came away with the win. Joe Rizzo continues to improve with the bat. He’s hitting .293 now over his last 10 games and he’s still just 19 years old.
Around the league...
- Baseball America ranks all of the prospects traded last month.
- Give me the Mariners vs. the Rangers.
- Our very own Jen Mac Ramos wrote an eye-opening piece about MLB’s need to act more on sexual violence in the game.
- David Schoenfeld wonders if any team in baseball really is the Golden State Warriors of the sport.
- Well that is certainly not where that pitch was supposed to go.
Bases loaded, tie game, full count, bottom of the ninth, heeeeere's the pitch..... pic.twitter.com/fPePbdkMcc— MetsKevin11 (@MetsKevin11) August 3, 2017
- Confused as to why teams can still make trades after the July trade deadline? Grant Brisbee explains how August trades work.
- Earlier this season, Cody Bellinger got put under the fire for not knowing who Jerry Seinfeld is. So ESPN quizzed him on pop culture and he was unsurprisingly awful.
- Yu Darvish sent a thank-you letter to Rangers fans.
- Nick Markakis — who is apparently still playing baseball — recorded his 2,000th career base hit yesterday.
- Oh man I love Mark Hamill. Someone asked him what his favorite Star Wars joke is, and this was his response.