Good morning everyone! Despite the Mariners’ recent struggles, I hope you’re having yourself a good week so far. I just got back to school and my internship starts today. Whatever you may be doing on this fine Wednesday, hopefully these links will make your day just a little bit better.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners have used their bullpen more than any team in baseball this season except for one.
Around the league...
- Royals pitcher Danny Duffy was arrested on Sunday for a DUI while in a Burger King drive-through. Dayton Moore used the presser to talk about a rather...unusual subject.
- David Schoenfeld at ESPN provides a ranking of all the potential World Series matchups in order of how interesting they’d be.
- Eli Ben-Porat at The Hardball Times gave the second side of his argument: in favor of eliminating the designated hitter.
- Nori is now a free man.
.@BlueJays give OF Nori Aoki his unconditional release.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) August 29, 2017
- Nobody can stop Giancarlo Stanton.
The Giancarlo Stanton HR Show continued as the Marlins slugger belted his 51st dinger of the season pic.twitter.com/aWfdRoOz7D— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) August 30, 2017
- Kate wrote a very moving piece about Rhys Hoskins’ mom in her latest work with Baseball Prospectus.
- The highest-paid players in the MLB and NFL went to the same high school. Not only that, they went there at the same time.
- Chris Sale became the fastest pitcher to get to 1,500 career strikeouts yesterday.
- Justin Verlander is drawing a lot of trade interest late in the August trade period.
- The Tampa Bay Rays are putting the funds they get for hosting the Astros-Rangers series to good use.
All ticket, concessions and parking revenues from this three-game series are being donated to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) August 29, 2017
- The Rangers were not quite as accommodating as the Rays, reportedly. Texas turned down an offer to swap home series’ with the Astros. Delino DeShields spoke up in defense of the Rangers’ decision.
- Pinstripe Alley has accepted the fact that Aaron Judge won’t be crowned this year’s American League MVP.
- Reliever Joe Nathan has retired.
- The University of Washington has hired Bob Rondo’s replacement behind the mic. Rondo is retiring at the end of the football season.